Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know those questions "my three month old has reflux and milk allergies... is supersoy formula with xtra luv (tm) better than goat deeelux liquid cuddle (tm) for his constipation?"

Do you ever feel like just posting "have you ever considered relactating?"

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I was one of those moms and I felt so guilty for quitting the pumping for Nitara but I *just could not do it anymore*. And yeah she was fed expensive hypo formula and had awful reflux and constipation and other things. I could not deal with the breast infections, thrush, screaming crying baby, very high needs toddler, etc. etc. Believe me, when you are barely holding on by a thread, what would be ideal (relactation or in my case continued lactation) is just not possible.

But for a mom with less issues and a baby with less issues, yeah I always say breastmilk is easiest to digest and please do keep pumping or bfing. You don't want to be paying $250/month for stinky hypo formula when you could have breastmilk for free with all those great things in it for babies.

Yeah I have a lot of regrets.
But I was doing the best I could at the time.

I know this thread was not aimed at me but I had to respond. I wish more mamas would get the support to continue bfing through those problems instead of having to think about relactating after the fact.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I have a girlfriend who was on zoloft and her doctor told her that she couldn't nurse (bunk) because of the drug in her milk. The baby ended up being (like mine are) allergic to EVERYTHING and her health insurance doesn't cover the last resort super special mind bogglingly expensive formula (with basically no nutrative value, by the way). She mentioned relactation to her pediatrican, and also that I was willing to donate my breast milk (as our children have the same allergies and I avoid the offending foods...and have always made enough milk to feed a small village...) if relactation was unsuccessful (it had been about six months by then). The d*%#@d pediatrician said that that was SUCH a bad idea, seeing as they could more easily figure out what was bothering the baby with formula!!!! The poor kid is sick ALL THE TIME. All the time. I just think, heck, with a little of the immunities from some breast milk in her little system, it'd help so much. I really think that a lot of the formula feeders with issues are just SO ignorant and they have even more ignorant doctors "helping" them. It makes me so sad. I want to SHAKE those close-minded idiot doctors sometimes...and remind them to take a continuing ed class in BFing. Because, maybe then they could live up to their promise to "First do no harm!"
:

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
On another board I post, there is a new mom. Her baby is now about 4 months (I think?) But during the first 6 weeks the baby was on 6 different formulas. Why? Baby had SERIOUS issues with them. Severe reflux, constipation, etc. Every post I read, I wanted to scream "BREASTFEED!" but I like the board (it's a name board mostly and I'm a name nerd) and didn't want to get kicked off. (It'd probably be worth it if my husband talked names with me, but he won't so I go to the board, lol.)

·
Registered
503 Posts
It makes me, too, sad that women aren't getting the support and information ahead of time, that suddenly they have a baby with tummy issues and they struggle to find a formula that will be best tolerated. I wish formula wasn't pushed so eagerly in hospitals, and that it wasn't such an acceptable and accepted feeding solution for babes. I wish society would accept breastfeeding as the norm and anything else as the back-up solution when bf is impossible.

But yes, to some women, who chose formula because they thought it was easier and didn't even try to breastfeed, I want to say, "Relactate!"

·
Registered
172 Posts
When my oldest dd was born 10 years ago I was a very young mom. I wanted to bf, but when it came down to it, and the nurse asked breast or bottle, I said bottle. I knew in my heart I wanted to bf, but I got scared. I of course never knew any one that bf, let alone see how it was done. But........ at about 2 months we ran out of formula and while dh was at the store to get some, I had a screaming baby on my hands. Well I did what felt natural for any mom, I was going to feed my baby no matter what. I put her to breast and she latched on like she was always a bf baby. I was in awe with my body also because I had milk. I probably didn't have enough to satisfy her, but she was fine until the formula came. I decided I wanted to relactate and bf for then on, unfortunately when I called my doctor to give them an update and let then know I was relactating, they said I needed to stop because I was taking the b.c. pill. I know now that b.c.pills and bf'ing are safe, but at 18, I listened to the doc. Well, that stopped a beautiful bond between me and baby. It makes me sad to think that I wasn't able to share with her what I've been able to share with my other babies.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmh23
On another board I post, there is a new mom. Her baby is now about 4 months (I think?) But during the first 6 weeks the baby was on 6 different formulas. Why? Baby had SERIOUS issues with them. Severe reflux, constipation, etc. Every post I read, I wanted to scream "BREASTFEED!" but I like the board (it's a name board mostly and I'm a name nerd) and didn't want to get kicked off. (It'd probably be worth it if my husband talked names with me, but he won't so I go to the board, lol.)
I know exactly who you are talking about and so many times, I wanted to say the same exact thing to this person! I kept thinking "why is she not even considering relactating?"

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
There's a girl at work like this, her youngest (17m) has TONS of medical problems, had to be on hypo formula, is STILL sick, had his tonsils and adenoids removed about a month ago, has ear tubes, is on the verge of being referred to a pedatric pulmonologist at Mayo Clinic because he always has bronchiolitis and pneumonia. It just kills me because she breastfed for 2 weeks and then quit. She had no problems, the baby has no food allergies (surprisingly), she just quit. And she's a SAHM, it's not like she was dealing with pumping at work or anything. I just want to smack her upside the head sometimes and say "If you had kept breastfeeding he wouldn't be having these problems you idiot!" It's a good thing she's a SAHM because she'd never be able to work anyway because her kid's ALWAYS sick!

·
Registered
219 Posts
as someone who is going thru this right now--- it is rough! still more frustrating is the lack of support (xcept for here!), ...and the overwhelming ignorance 'out there'.

i think it is up to us mammas to spread the word and share our knowledge with other mothers -- we ARE the experts, after all; not multi-national corps., ignorant medical professionals, etc

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I usually "gently" suggest relactation as an option, with links to the kellymom site. Howver, the reality is that relactation means less formula, not "no formula" in many cases.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Relactation rarely yields a full supply, and is a huge undertaking for a stressed new mom. It takes a lot of commitment and time taken from your DC - I can't tell you how many times I had to bottle-prop my hungry baby in her bouncy seat while pumping... it really made me question my motives at times.

I'm not against gently suggesting it as a possibility, but to assume that allergy problems would go away with BFing is pretty assumptive (can anyone say ELIMINATION DIET?).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.