Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I sling in the water all the time! Ds is 4.5 months old and absolutely
s the water!! I have a solarveil sling and a mesh sling for the water (solarveil for when I'm in full fun for an extended period of time, mesh for when I'm not). So far this summer I've used the sling in the ocean, the lake, the pool and at the water park - even down a water slide!!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Is it better to use a ring sling or a pouch sling for this? It seems like there would be too much extra, soggy fabric with a ring type, but is it better to have that adjustability?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I did this a ton last summer when ds was smaller-he loved it and it was so much easier than trying to hold him. I tried to put him in it this past month though, and he wasn't haven't it-he is much to "big" now.
I guess I was just slowing him down. We have a solarveil for this-love it, it helps to block out harmful UV rays too.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i have pics of me slinging at the river.
This is me sitting in the water with Zoey, then 6mos (now 4)

Slinging Zoey at the River 1

and this was taken this past mothers day with Roman, he was 9mos . i wasnt' actually in the water yet, but a few minutes later i was up to my hips with him. He loved it
Slinging Roman at the river

I used to sling him in our pool, but dont' have any pics. Now he doesn't want to be in the sling cuz he wants me to pull him thru the water so he can 'swim' i think. lol

i had a kangaroo korner mesh sling for a long time, now i have a muslin taylor made treasures sling.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used my mesh sling in the pool all summer last year! Liam was 8-13 months last summer (we have long hot summers. LOL) I have a ring sling that is made of mesh. I also used it in the shower when he was little, I could shower with him and still be able to wash my hair and my 3 year old.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have made several mesh slings just for this purpose! We spent a lot of last summer in the Gulf of Mexico with my then-15 month old boy. In water up to my armpits and he in the hip carry. I tried to keep him from direct hits by the waves, but when we got caught off-guard, he just giggled. I (and he) definitely felt secure in the sling. We haven't made it to the beach yet this year, because we are in te middle of moving...maybe later in the summer we'll go--I'm really looking forward to seeing how my dd likes it! She was a home waterbirth, and so far she loves the water--baths, showers with me, etc....I wonder if there's a connection...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am LOVING those pics!! Now I can't wait to try it out! We are going camping in July. I will be sure to take lots of pics to post. He is kinda scared of the water and I think keeping him in a sling for awhile will help that.

Where do you find mesh fabric? I want to make my own.

-Melissa

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I found some at Joann's, but probly any fabric store would have some. The stuff that I got is what I think of as football jesey material. Know what I mean? Kinda shiny, tiny bit stretchy, with lots of little holes. It was on a sale rack-woohoo! I know some sites sell the solarveil stuff too, but can't remember the web addy off the top of my head. I'm sure someone here will know. Have fun! Slings are so fun and easy(and addictive) to make!

·
Registered
522 Posts
we have a salt-water pool, the color hasn't faded at all. When we're done in the water, I just let it dry in the sun, it's good to go in 45 minutes -- you'd never to know by looking at the fabric, it's still very bright.

susie

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hnybee
Where do you find mesh fabric? I want to make my own.

-Melissa
Hey!

http://www.wazoodle.com/
http://fabric.com
http://fabricline.com
Or any other online fabric source....type "athletic mesh" or just "mesh" into their search field. Good luck! I think you will fall in love with it!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i used the same material for mine the football jersey style and it is sooooo nice and the kids like it cause its silkey and its cool when its hot out side. I used mine all the time in shower, pool, and just regualer everyday use. My dd is 3 now and we dont use it much and i miss it.
I also got mine on sale and actually have alot left. I got mine for 75 cents a yard at joann's

Amy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts