Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're ttc #2. I'll most likely have an ERCS....I dunno. I'm waffling. Anyway, regardless, I am thinking maybe a pp doula might be a good thing to have for the next kid.

Ds being born was like a bomb going off in our tranquil little universe
, and those first weeks were pretty much hell. My MIL stayed with us for a week and I didn't want her to leave (I love my MIL...she's wonderful)! So I'm thinking that this next time maybe it would be a good idea to have a pp doula, since ds is still very high needs, and a grandparent in the house would be primarily to help HIM adjust, leaving me sorta hanging out to dry.

If you used a PP doula, did you find it helpful?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I think it sounds like a wonderful idea! I couldn't afford to do that myself, but in theory what could be better than an extra pair of experienced, professional hands to help you in that time?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had a PP doula after my dd's were born and I just couldn't imagine how I would have coped without one!!

I had planned to do it all by myself, but was I was so completely overwhelmed. I had a touch of PPD, could barely walk, couldn't figure out how to get anyone to latch (was pumping), dd's were both very high needs and someone was up ALL the time. So after the first week when dh, my mom, MIL, and FIL were all helping, we got a post-partum doula.

She helped me be the AP mom I wanted to be. She helped me and dd's learn how to latch, taught me and dh how to use the slings, cooked, cleaned, wore a baby in a sling while I slept with the other and really was the community I needed to do this.

Just as an example, I would be side-laying nursing one dd (hadn't graduated to double nursing yet) and my doula would be caring for other dd, coaching me through any questions I was having and bring me water and food so I could eat while nursing. When one dd would nurse for 45 minutes and then the other would, well I kinda had to eat nursing.

Seriously one of the best things I have ever done!!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that sounds awesome!! One of the mamas in my local tribal area is a PP doula, so I'd probably hire her. I'm just worried how ds will cope, and I know any family here will have to help with him, not me. It sounds awful, but an autistic toddler is probably going to be a gazillion times more time consuming than another newborn. Unless of course I have nursing problems AGAIN, which will suck royally.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had a pp doula and she was great. Our situation was a bit different. My appendix burst when DD was 6 months old and I was in the hospital for a week. This was after an emergency C so I now had 2 abdominal incisions that i was healing from. My mother talked my father into paying for a pp Doula for a week or two (thanks mom!). Anyway she was wonderful. Talked about childcare (introduced me to Mothering magazine) did the laundry, cooking, drove me to Dr appointments. I highly recommend it. It's wonderful support!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.