Mothering Forum banner

when will you go to your first prenatal appointment?

• 4-6 weeks

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • 7-10 weeks

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • 11-12 weeks

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • 13+ weeks

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • no formal prenatal care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other (what)?

Votes: 1 1.9%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just for my own curiousity. I've always gone in at 12 weeks... plan to do so again for this baby; sometime between 12-14 weeks.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I voted 4-6 weeks because thats when they wanted to see me. I called to make an appointment last week and they said I could come in @ 6 weeks to chat. It ended up being my first prenatal, my midwives took a urine sample as well as some blood.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I'm going in to meet my new midwife tomorrow. I'm about 7 1/2 weeks I guess. That's just a consultation to make sure I'm happy with her and that I want to stay there rather than go back to the place I used with DD. Once I've decided, I'll make an appointment for probably around 11 weeks or so. I already have an appointment with the old place for 12 weeks, just in case this midwife doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I had a miscarriage last Feb., so they wanted to see me early. I anticipate that my pregnancy will be well monitored, as I have lupus and a kidney anomoly. I had my first appt at 5.5 weeks. (I thought I was 6 weeks, but the ultrasound said 5, so we'll split the difference.)

I'm moving, so I have an intake appointment at my new OBs office on Tues, and I see the OB on Wednesday. (Wednesday is the same day my moving truck is supposed to deliver my stuff to my apt, which is 1.25 hours from my OB's office. Can you say, "stressed"?)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I checked 7-10 but I think 9-12 would be more accurate, no rush for me though I do miss meeting with my MW
I will see her socially today and ask her when we should meet again. The first time I'd like it to just be DH and I so there's the whole business of setting up a sitter.

Keri

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Normally my Ob would like to see me at 8 wks but I'll be out of town for the whole month of August so I won't see her until I'm at least 12 wks. She never does much at the 8 wk visit anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a consultation with a new MW next week at 7 weeks. If I like her, I will schedule an appt for sometime in the next 2-3 weeks after that.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I called my midwife last week and she said we'd make an appointment for next month sometime. So I guess that will be 9-11 weeks.

Llyra - you don't live all that far from me, who are you seeing? Pam and Louise?

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I voted 11-12, although I'm not really sure. I won't even have a chance to interview midwives until I'm 10 weeks, and most midwives around here don't do official visits (other than the get-to-know-yous) until 12, although we're considering at least one who does it much more sensibly, with a bunch of visits early on and close together to establish the relationship and discuss nutrition etc, then spaces them out again in the middle of pregnancy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I called my dr's and they wont see me until after an u/s because my last period was in Oct. 2004. I know I ovulated the 5th but whatever! Anyways my u/s is scheduled for the 15th, I'll be almost 8 weeks. I would guess my appt with the dr will be around 11 or 13 weeks (I'll be out of town the 12th week.)
I'll also have the 20 week u/s too.
Jackie

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had my first appt at 5.5 weeks. I have Type 1 Diabetes so I'm automatically "high risk" so they see me earlier than they normally see moms.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'd love to have it as soon as possible, but they don't take new patients until 8 or 9 weeks.
: I always heard it's best to have your first appointment as soon as you find out your pg. Come on August 17th!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
My OB practice recommends first appts at 7-9 weeks. I'm going at 8 wks. The first appt will be with the head OB, and she'll look for the heartbeat. I'll have a follow up at 12 weeks with the mid-wife to discuss nutrition, any other concerns, etc.. I had GD with my first, so I'm not sure how they will want to approach that.

Rebecca

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
We have a new group health insurance starting 9/1, so I'll probably go in the second week in Sept. No real need to go now, I've had 3 m/c in a row since my dd was born... and there is really nothing anyone can do before 12 weeks. I already know my provider and everything. If I already had insurance, or felt like going through medicare temporarily, I might go in before then.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have my 1st apointment set up for August 9th. I will be 9 weeks. I want to have it done ASAP because my mother in-law is coming down August 18th and is trying to push her way into this pregnancy. She is already going on about how she feels left out when I told her before I even told my parents that I was pregnant. Now she is saying that she wants to set up an apointment to see the birthing center while she is here and wants to meat the midwife. I can't wait for August to be over.

Angela

1 - 20 of 24 Posts