Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Gitti !!! Awesome Awesome Awesome !!!

I am in awe ! Awesome, better than anything I could have come up with. I agree and practice !

Wonderful Words !

I also stay away from the recently vaxed children of friends of mine & all of what Gitti's post said

We definately do not live in a bubble. My son is 21 months, totally vax free, and we are out and about daily. Even when he was 3 days old I was out and about! He's had a cold or two but thats it. We go to parks, stores, in shopping carts,.......all the gross germy things you can think of, we've been there. I think the ped's are just trying to scare you.

I think the OP also has the fear of many NEW parents. I know of some who rarely took baby out the first year-and these children always were sick once they were out as they had never been exposed to many germs that first year-their immune systems were weak!

BTW, I have been leaving my kids-including unvaxed DS-with a friend whose son is very ill (no immuine sytem and diabetes is what they say). I assumed it would be healthier there-HA!!!!!!!!!!!! He's had soda, only junk food, and she has smoked inside! So ya never know. Now she is watching them for free out of the kindness of her heart yet she really has no EDUCATION on how to stay healthy!!!!!!!!!!! I try and try but she too is overwhelmed. Of course, DS now has a cold and she then worries about her DS getting sick-ugh!!!

We also do not worry about any disease exposure --BUT it took me about 2 years to get to that point-
I worked with the elderly at a nursing home for 17 years & always took my clothes off before I touched the kids --now I work for a hospice & do not worry so much about germs (still breastfeeding a bit),I figure she is getting important exposure to builds her immune system.

I read somewhere that "normally"kids get 6-8 colds a YEAR!
Mine have never had more than 1-2 a year.

Also--KNOW HOW TO TREAT ANY ILLNESS & DISEASE -then you have a plan to go by & will feel more confident.

Find a good book or two that you have for a guide .

Another vote for ignoring the ped's recommendations and get out and enjoy stuff! I have a totally unvaxed baby and a 9 yr old who goes to public school. Both are healthy and I, like others, pretty much only wash the baby's hands when they are particularly disgusting or sticky.

Gitti, thank you once again for your words of wisdom.
I agree with what you said 100%.

I do nothing different with my unvaxxed kids. We have playgroups, story time at the library, science museum, etc weekly. The kids are sick extremely rarely (like a cold a year). We try to eat a healthy, organic diet, although I sometimes catch dh slipping Krispy Kreme's in the house.

Also, keep in mind that your babe is getting a constant source of antibodies thru your breastmilk! So, anything you get exposed to and make antibodies against, your kiddo is getting the anti bodies to it and not necessarily the virus or bacteria. If she encounters these because of your exposure, she'll already have the antibodies!!! Not to mention your placental antibodies. The short version is, don't worry!!

I agree with Jazmommie about learning about illnesses.

You can't stay out of dr's offices very well, if you can't identify and treat stuff yourself!

I think another reason that mine are so healthy is that they haven't had antibiotics (ds#2 did, once, when he was 2).

I don't know any other nonvaxers IRL...this thread has been neat! Its nice to learn that other nonvaxed kids don't get sick, either. We're all saying the same thing: "mine only get a cold once a year, no ear infections, haven't been to the dr. etc", whether we agree about handwashing or not!

I agree with Gitti, hospitals and doc offices are the only places any of my kids have gotten sick! The baby is unvaxed and has never gotten sick and she has been leaving the house a few times a week since she was 6 days old.

The only people I avoid are those obviously sick with something bad I don't let them cough on her or anything but I don't avoid taking her out at all. And I avoid anyone that has been recently vaxed until she is a bit older. I prefer her to catch measles or anything after one year when the immune system has more of a memory.

Of course her not getting sick at all would be great but I know she needs to get something to be better long term. She is showing signs of some serious allergies and I know that might be from her never getting sick so her body has to act out on something!

Gitti's post sums it up for me too.

We have 5 German Sheps & 5 rescue cats.
We avoid the obvious places but life goes on.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Thank you so much to everyone! I feel so much better after reading all of your posts!
Gitti! You are fabulous! I would love for you to give an earfull to my family and friends who think I am out of my mind not vaccinating!!!
:
Thanks again everyone!!!
Amy

my unvaxed dd is almost 15 years old and I've never done any of the things on your list. We have taken her to Mexico, she has been exposed to some of the vaxed for illnesses by her friends and never gotten any of them.

I think your Dr is using scare tactics. I do try to avoid sick people, but only because I don't want to get the cold or whatever they have. But that is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelMel
the only thing I avoid with my unvaccinated dd is vaccinations

:LOL

Same for us. A person cant live in fear.

My oldest is 4 1/2 and has been sick not even 5 times in her life and only once was she really sick (and that was a flu that we all had and dh got again 2 weeks later
)

We try to eat healthy but of course that not always possible.

I have not read all the replys but just wanted to chime in and say that my totally unvaxed dd is 25 months old and she has only had a minor cold with a clear runny nose about 4 times and one stomach virus that dh had. She has never had a medication ever, no fever reducers, no antibiotics and no sick visits to her family practitioner.

Now, we are no where near isolated. She was born at a birth center and we left 4 hours after her birth, stopping by a dear friend's to show her off. We have been part of a baby reading group at our library since she was a few weeks old. We have a mom/baby group that gets together twice a week. The babies crawl around and slobber all over common toys. My child is the picture of health and I attribute it to her God given immune system not being altered by vaccines. I think, on average, that non vaxed kids are far healthier and when they get sick, they handle it much better than vaxed kids whose body's have been altered by vax.

Have you considered using a family practitioner instead of a ped? They seem to be far more open to non vaxing than peds since it is not the bulk of what they do. We have a great rather alternative family practitioner we see. She has a focus on nutrition and building health rather than treating sickness.

She is so great that she came to my home and did our newborn's first exam. It is almost an hour's drive. How many docs to house calls!!! She believes that no new baby and mom should get in a car and drive anywhere! How cool!

Quote:
I agree with Gitti, hospitals and doc offices are the only places any of my kids have gotten sick! The baby is unvaxed and has never gotten sick and she has been leaving the house a few times a week since she was 6 days old.
The only time Holden has ever gotten sick is when I babysat my nephew when Holden was about 2 months old. My nephew is in daycare full time and had an awful runny nose and cough (my SIL didn't mention it before dropping him off
); Holden came down with it a few days later.

Ok, I generally agree with what you are all saying... except DS's favorite playmate is due for his MMR. They commonly suck on the same toys, so I guess they are swapping spit. What do y'all think?

Jane, I would let them still play together if you are ok with the possibility of your ds getting measles and the rest of the trio. Since they are swapping spit there is a bit higher chance of your ds's playmate passing along the live virus then if they were older kids that just did homework together kwim? The package insert mentions live virus can be spread to others for up to 28 days.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.