Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to forums and in great need of some advice or suggestions.

I have an almost 20-month old son who has a real clinging problem and it's taking a pretty big toll on me in terms of stress. I am home alone with him mon-fri from 8AM-6PM while my husband works and each day my son insists on being ON me. Literally all day, he must be in my lap or climbing on me or clinging to me and refuses to be even an inch apart for a minute. He won't touch his toys or books or explore or anything unless he can be on me while doing it. If I take him off my lap or put him down, he bursts into screaming tears and starts pinching me viciously (he's drawn blood). He doesn't stop either, I've tried 'timeout' and he just screams relentlessly for however long he'll be in there.

It's to the point I feel smothered and like I'm a living couch. I'm not sure what to do to wean him out of this and into being a little more independent or at least capable of functioning without being on me every second of the day.

To note - he is not like this when my husband is home. When other people are around he'll play on the floor or interact normally. But when my husband leaves... he immediately climbs onto me and that's that.

Is this normal or a phase? None of my family or friends with kids have had this problem and it's pretty frustrating. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It could be just a phase (how long has it been going on?) but it could become a persistent problem. Either way, because it's bothering you, you need to do something.

Luckily, I see the answer in your post! He doesn't do this when there are other people around--so minimize the amount of time you are alone together. Take him out in public. Have people over. Depending on where you live and how many people you know, this may be more or less easy, but do what you can. It may be that the more you mix up your routine and the more different people you see, the less he'll freak out when Daddy leaves in the morning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts