Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I braved going out to a Children's Place Outlet on Black Friday. It was cheaper per pair to buy two pairs of jeans and two pairs of khakis. So I figured why not. My son is outgrowing his 18 month size pants so I got 24 month size. We have one pair of pants in 2T size already but that's it. I anticipate that he will should be able to wear these pants for a year or so. I hope we manage to potty train during this time and expect that accidents will happen. Is 5 pairs excessive for a 2 y/o?</p>

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
<p>JMO but the ages 2-6 i found THE HARDEST to get thrift store stuff (and my DD was really tall, so she was in 24months trousers at about 15months) simply because it's the age when they are so active, they manage to wear things out before they outgrow them.  I DEFINITELY went through more than 5 pairs of pants a year (and still do!).  Maybe that's just my kid though, she was always one for the falling, climbing, getting paint/glue/etc. on stuff (washable pen?  NOT washable!) and generally WORKING her clothes hard.  So no, to me that is not at all excessive.</p>

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
<p>Be aware that when you switch from dipes to undies, the pants are going to fit differently. ds's "outgrown" pants fit him great now and his "almost outgrown" pants need a belt!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He only had two accidents the first week in undies and none since.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think five pairs is plenty for a two year old, but YMMV depending on how often you can do laundry and how messy your toddler is.</p>

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
<p>no, 5 pairs isn't excessive at all.  Especially not for a toddler who is learning to use the potty!  Sometimes we go through that many pants in 2 days with my 3 yr old. He, BTW, has about 30 pairs of pants. :p I do know that's excessive, but I love to shop.</p>

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
<p>I don't think that's excessive at all. I have a nearly 4 year old, and he has 10 pair of pants/jeans for this year. And, I know that by the end of the year, at least 8 pair will be busted through in the knees and other places. Little boys are very hard on their clothes. I always try to have one nice pair of jeans and one nice pair of pants for him for going out, and the rest are just everyday play clothes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When we were PL'ing a year ago, he could easily go through 4 or 5 pair of pants in one day.</p>

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>I should have said "I anticipate he should <em>fit</em> into these pants for a year".</p>
<p> </p>
<p>noordinaryspider - You are right about diaper vs no diaper. Although he is outgrowing his pants in length more than in waist size. He doesn't seem to me to be a particularly skinny child but he has typically outgrown clothing by length first.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You ladies have convinced me to hold on to them. The jeans were $5.50 a pair and the khakis were $5. Not prices I'd typically get.</p>

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
<p>5 pairs excessive? There have been times we've gone through 5 pairs in one day!!! Pling can definitely up the laundry but toddlers are also just messy. Meals end up in his lap, he sits in a mud puddle - for the 2nd time today, he gets paint on them, etc. And even though I do laundry daily I'm always behind.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Plus I find I like to have extra clothes stashed around. A couple sets at my Mom's, a couple sets at dh's Mom's, at least one set in the car...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>5 is definitely NOT excessive.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
<p>Definitely NOT excessive! We can easily go through 5 pairs very, very quickly between the occasional potty accident, having a very messy eater, and the ususal wear and tear.  Actually, we have some pants that have holes in them that I either need to fix or get rid of.  She's been in 24months/2T pants for about a year now (she actually outgrew them but after a growth spurt can wear them again).  She's sort of between 2T/3T at the moment depending on the style and brand.  We also have a pretty big difference when it comes to the seasons here so she has a lot of pants/bottoms in general because some are just for the summer and others for the winter. </p>
<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts