Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a search of previous threads on this board I found a great link to birthing statistics for MA hospitals. The hospital I plan to give birth at (not preg yet, just dreaming) has a successful VBAC completion rate of 100%!!!!!!!!!!! that gives me so much hope and faith in the hospital! I really felt pressured into my last c/s (and may post soon to share my story in an attempt to heal a little emotionally) and really want the next one to be a sucessful VBAC. They're repeat cs rate is only 8%. Their total VBAC rate (% out of all births) is 21%. I feel really confident about these numbers. Thanks to PennyS for posting that link a while back!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you mind sharing which hospital in MA that was. And also the link if you have it???? It would be helpful to me as well lol.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just did a search for the link.
I received a fact sheet with the hospital's VBAC, episiotomy, etc. rates as a part of my packet on my first midwife visit. I believe this is MA law. Quite a few hospitals in MA do not "allow" VBACs, at least where I am. I'll be having my baby at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth, which also has a 100% success rate, but a much smaller % of women opt for a VBAC. It is a bit of a drive for me but I am hoping will be well worth it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robynee
Just did a search for the link. http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2su...h+Centers+List

I received a fact sheet with the hospital's VBAC, episiotomy, etc. rates as a part of my packet on my first midwife visit. I believe this is MA law. Quite a few hospitals in MA do not "allow" VBACs, at least where I am. I'll be having my baby at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth, which also has a 100% success rate, but a much smaller % of women opt for a VBAC. It is a bit of a drive for me but I am hoping will be well worth it.
Drats, the link isn't working for me.

There was another question here today about Jordan Hospital from another MA mom. I know that she's near me... it sounds like you must be, too! I'm on the Cape.

Take care & I hope that your vbac goes beautifully!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
That's wonderful
I hope that helps you to feel confident in your VBAC!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wow, I wish every state had such a list compiled. Its amazing, they are now required to give stats on nursing homes, why not do the same thing for hospitals? After all, there must be records on all these stats somewhere.

I think if we keep making enough noise about it, it will come about. Hospitals and other medical places have to please the consumers, or they lose business.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
New York has an online "hospital report card" page which gives some VBAC information for NYS hospitals (http://www.myhealthfinder.com/newyor...ancechoose.php).

I'm confused by their terminology though...are they saying that EVERY vbac attempt ends in a vaginal delivery (and the 8% repeat c/s is the result of "planned long in advance" c/s, not a "the mama requested a c/s" line that winds up in so many charts)? That's not only impressive, that's REALLY impressive! Do they have a specific screening process (for example, could you vbac with a classical incision, or with single layer sutures, etc)?

My local hospital (in upstate NY) has great rates, but I'd almost be willing to "visit" my MA family around my due date!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I don't want to be a cynic, but I wonder if this isn't what it seems to be. I'm thinking they are twisting something somewhere. Like, they tell mamas they CAN'T have a VBAC so the ONE MAMA who someone got one, got counted. Or they are calling the cesearans from failed VBAC attempts "elective" or something.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My midwives are very vbac supportive so I know there are at least some moms are having vbacs there but I tend to be a doubter too. I think in this case, there are a small number of births and a smaller percentage of them being vbacs so it doesn't give as accurate a picture than if they had a larger percentage of women not just opting for a repeat c-section. Am I making any sense? It's awfully early.

kymholly-I fixed the link in my post. I'm on the south coast. The south coast hospitals are all affiliated and will not do vbacs.
wombatclay-They do screen patients. I know that they have turned people away. My previous c-secton was because ds was breech, so I didn't have a hard time getting them to accept me as a vbac patient. I don't know what there exact "requirements" are.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah that's what I was wondering... if they are super selective (only do VBACs with moms with history of previous vaginal birth for example), or they've only had like 3 ladies VBAC, then they could have a 100% VBAC rate... but in real world scenario... its doesn't seem possible.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the hospital is franklin medical center

i was a bit skeptical at first too, but if 21% of their births are vbacs and they are all sucessfull then they cant ber too selective on who can have one. only 8% have a repeat c/s which would include electives and ones that earlt on know they cant have a vbac. they also have a rate of 75%(or close to that) births attended by midwives compared to the 25% in other local hospitals. i think that makes a HUGE difference

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
That's cool!

I only wondered since my own c/s is listed as "elective" in my charts despite the fact that I fought it tooth and nail. So sometimes hospital definitions don't match the reality of a situation. But I agree that midwives can substantially boost VBAC rates and finding a hospital that is VBAC friendly is crucial (if you're going the hospital route)!

I did notice that when I went to the MA site (http://www.mass.gov then search for franklin medical center vbac) it looks like Franklin Medical Center has fewer than 30 VBAC attempts per year so it's not part of the state-wide scoring system.

Good luck with the future pregancy and VBAC! It sounds like you've got a wonderful medical support team ready to go when you are.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hmmmm. Sounds possibly altered somehow. I'd be curious to know what exactly they are labeling VBAC then. No place has a 100% success rate.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay
That's cool!

I only wondered since my own c/s is listed as "elective" in my charts despite the fact that I fought it tooth and nail.
yep...me too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.