Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has been doing elimination dieting due to some strange looking spit up from her 3 month old. This all started at about about 1.5 months. Now and then baby spits up, usually in the car, and the stain is brownish. It's been irregular.

She thought maybe soy, coffee or egg sensitivities. She's Vegan, so there's a LOT of soy, and she's not 100% up on what's in what at say Dunkin' Donuts, so she eats things from there (where she might have gotten egg).

Anyway, anyone have any experience? Baby doesn't spit up much at all, so when this happens it's kind of a surprise. She'd ruled out reflux because there's not a lot of spitting up in general, but I thought it might be so mild that spitting up just doesn't occur. Baby isn't super fussy either.

Well, off to ponder. Thanks for any input. They are going to the ped tomorrow, but I seriously don't know what good it will do in the short run b/c they are just going to want to run a million tests, and answers won't be fast.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Brown? Sounds to me like it could be blood. I can't think of what else it might be. Does your friend have cracked nipples or anything like that? It could be as simple as her nipples are bleeding and the baby is ingesting some blood, which is totally harmless. But, if her nipples are not bleeding at all, then I'd be concerned about the baby bleeding inside.

Some things to ask. . .if your friend pumps, how does the milk look in bottles? Is it pink or brown? Does the baby have black or red in in his/her stool?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I agree w/ Erin. The GI dr always ask if Evan's spit up is colored brown at all. That generally means blood. It could be as easy as cracked nipples or he could be seriously reacting and his stomach is all torn up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No blood in stool. Baby only poops every other or third day.

Friend does not pump, and doesn't have cracked nipples that she's noticed. Could it be possible that they are cracked and she didn't notice?

What *I* find odd is that the spitting up brown is only happening once a week; it's not happening every time she spits up. If she's bleeding internally, shouldn't she spit up this brown stuff more often?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.