·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: 95191

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
The book sounds like it is playing an interesting game.

Here is the difficulty. Human beings recognize patterns. If autism has always been fairly common (between 1 in 100 and 1 in 68) then human beings would have been aware of it and had a name for it. Just as we have names for being left-handed or developmentally disabled, although the names vary by culture and times.

There are multiple possibilities:

1) Autism is mostly a modern problem and has arisen due to injury from the various components of the modern lifestyle

2) Autism has always been around, but it is a very broad and diverse condition so it was easily dropped into other categories and mistaken for other conditions--in which case there hasn't been an increase, just a lot of diagnostic substitution.

3) Autism has always been around but until modern times it was exceedingly rare and see number 1 for the reason for the huge increase nowadays

4) There is no such thing as autism at all, just a wide range of neurological injuries which have some behaviors in common. Because we have (for some mysterious reason) a lot of children with neuro damage nowadays, we also have a lot of children with particular behaviors which are currently called autism.

I'm sure people can come up with more explanations.

But I continue to have doubts that there were 1 in 68 children with autistic behaviors but no one used to notice these behaviors until modern "science" spotted them.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
The book sounds like it is playing an interesting game.

But I continue to have doubts that there were 1 in 68 children with autistic behaviors but no one used to notice these behaviors until modern "science" spotted them.
No kidding.

50% of those with ASD have low or borderline IQ, and 25% are non-verbal. This was not "missed" in any generation.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Also, and I hope everyone will understand and forgive my bitchiness....

...but if hell exist, I think there is a certain place in it for people who harm families by sweeping the autism epidemic under the rug because it suits their life-story or agenda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts