Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading about what the peds are encouraged to tell us and the AAP website is where it's at. Here's what they're encouraged to tell us about tetanus:<br><br><a href="http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/109/1/e2?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=exemption&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1130822459691_24312&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1&journalcode=pediatrics" target="_blank">http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ode=pediatrics</a><br><br><i>The majority of recent cases of tetanus among children in the United States were in unvaccinated children whose parents objected to vaccination. Parents who choose not to vaccinate their children should be advised of the seriousness of the disease <b>and be informed that tetanus is not preventable by means <span style="text-decoration:underline;">other than</span> vaccination</b>.</i>

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Yeah, because proper wound care won't prevent tetanus and neither will TIG.<br><br>
You know what I've always wondered about? Why is tetanus required for school entry anyway? It's not contagious, so what the heck difference does it make if my kid is vaxxed for tetanus? It's not like the unvaxxed kids are going to start a tetanus outbreak. (Although I'm sure if there was one they'd find a way to blame it on us - even if not a single case was in an unvaxxed kid. They carry <i>all kinds</i> of diseases, don't you know?)

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Plummeting</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">You know what I've always wondered about? Why is tetanus required for school entry anyway?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Very good point.<br><br>
Incidentally, in New York, pertussis and tetanus were never technically required for school entry until just last year - only diptheria was required. Why it took them so long to add it to the list of mandates, I don't know. Maybe because most children receive the DTaP rather than DT. This was their reasoning for adding the pertussis and tetanus:<br><br><br><i><b>Pertussis and Tetanus Vaccination</b><br>
To increase the immunization levels of the people of the state of New York, the vaccination for pertussis and tetanus were added to the list of immunizations required for school entry because of the incidence of pertussis in New York increasing four-fold in 2003 above the annual average.<br><br>
*S.6484 (Hannon)/A.11306 (Gottfried) - Passed both houses</i>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts