Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--I am in NY and have a religious exemption for school. My dd just started Girl Scouts and we received a vaccine form to complete. It doesn't have to be completed by the ped but also doesn't note that you can have a religious exemption. Not sure how to complete, any suggestions? Thank you!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi--I am in NY and have a religious exemption for school. My dd just started Girl Scouts and we received a vaccine form to complete. It doesn't have to be completed by the ped but also doesn't note that you can have a religious exemption. Not sure how to complete, any suggestions? Thank you!

Is this for her health history form? If so, just either leave it blank, fill in N/A, or say none. If I remember correctly, they only ask for tetanus? They don't check to make sure; it's just in case your DD gets sick/hurt and needs medical attention. For my DD, I filled in the last tetanus she received (before we went non-vax) and we've never had a problem with things not being UTD.

HTH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this for her health history form? If so, just either leave it blank, fill in N/A, or say none. If I remember correctly, they only ask for tetanus? They don't check to make sure; it's just in case your DD gets sick/hurt and needs medical attention. For my DD, I filled in the last tetanus she received (before we went non-vax) and we've never had a problem with things not being UTD.

HTH
Yes, it's for her health history form and on the bottom is her vax history. I just double checked, ours doesn't have tetanus on it. I was going to just put N/A but I did a search and found and old post on the subject. I decided to just modify our school exemption letter and attach it to the form. My main concern is privacy, I don't want every one knowing her vax status, but at the same time, they did ask for her health ins id # too so if something were to happen I don't want to risk them giving her a shot :/

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, it's for her health history form and on the bottom is her vax history. I just double checked, ours doesn't have tetanus on it. I was going to just put N/A but I did a search and found and old post on the subject. I decided to just modify our school exemption letter and attach it to the form. My main concern is privacy, I don't want every one knowing her vax status, but at the same time, they did ask for her health ins id # too so if something were to happen I don't want to risk them giving her a shot :/

I just double checked my DD's health history form, and the only vaccination info they ask for is tetanus. NY is so hard core :-(.

If it were me (and I have done this) I would write "no vaccinations to be given without my express consent" within/around the section where the form (most likely) mentions that you consent to treatment for her in an emergency. Might tip your hand, but better safe than sorry. You hopefully will never have to find out.

You can also just privately have a word with her leaders (if you feel comfortable) about your wishes; they will be the one to call for help, and will be the decision makers until you could get to your DD. I say this as someone who has had this conversation with my DD's leader when she was younger and couldn't speak up for herself on medical matters. Luckily, at least one of her leaders is on the same page as me. And now I'm a leader for the troop, and as such, would appreciate a heads up about these kinds of things.

I wish you and your DD well; Girl Scouts has been such a great experience for my DD!

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Really, Girl Scouts asked for a medical form? My older daughter is in her 5th year of scouts and my younger in her 2nd and we have never had to fill out anything except the application form each year. Is this a state thing? (I'm in Illinois.) I hope you can work it out to your preference...I agree that Girl Scouts is a great experience (I was one, too, through high school).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really, Girl Scouts asked for a medical form? My older daughter is in her 5th year of scouts and my younger in her 2nd and we have never had to fill out anything except the application form each year. Is this a state thing? (I'm in Illinois.) I hope you can work it out to your preference...I agree that Girl Scouts is a great experience (I was one, too, through high school).
I'm not sure if it's a state thing. It's a form that I fill out myself, it doesn't have to be stamped or signed by the pediatrician. I'm hoping it's not an issue, I think it will be ok. I was a GS thru HS too :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I dropped it off and she didn't mention anything about it when I picked my daughter up. I guess I will find out next week if there's an issue. I think it will be fine, I just wasn't expecting a form like that.

Everyone says NY is tough but honestly, knock on wood, we haven't had a rough time. For day care when my LOs were young I submitted 1 or 2 lines saying it's against our beliefs. For school, I wrote 1 or 2 paragraphs. The nurse at our school said it's becoming more and more common. She was really helpful. In my district admin approves it so I will only have to submit it one time. I think maybe again for my DS once he starts but i'm not sure.

Thanks for your help, i'll let you know if I have any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts