Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I did not exercise regularly; the baby was under 9 lbs

Votes: 12 38.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there was any relationship between the size of the baby at birth and the mother's exercise.

Do you think exercise matters at all when it comes to the size of the baby? And do you think it made the baby bigger or smaller?

(I'm only talking about full-term babies here.)

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Boo was born at 38+1 weeks, was 7lbs 8.5oz. I did not excercise really at all during my pregnancy with him (I worked full-time shift work, that WAS my workout!).

I've gotten significantly more excercise this time - we'll see what happens. I'm also eating a LOT better this time though.

Also - genetics are kind of in favor of having a similar sized baby, since both my DH and I weighed in at 7lb 8oz when we were born !

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#1 was at 38 weeks and was 7/8. I did not exercise at all. It hurt too much!

#2 was at 40+4 and was 8/9. I walked, but that was about it.

Some people say that regular exercise means you will have a smaller baby, but then there was a member who said she exercised constantly and hers was 11 lbs, so I was just wondering.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I don't think food (if you don't have diabetes) or exercise make much difference in baby size, it's all due to genetics and what size of baby your body can give birth too.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I didn't exercise much and had a 10 lb baby. I think your body knows what to do to grow a healthy baby, and given the right tools (healthy food and conditions), the baby will become the genetic size it was meant to be.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I did not do considerable execise with my first two pregnancies and the babies were:

ds#1- 8/12
ds#2- 9/7

I am currently about 18 weeks along and play softball once a week and get infrequent execise the rest of the week (some walking, climbing stairs, vacuuming). We shall see...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I was a dogwalker while pregnant with my daughter, and she was 8#. I walked at least 2 hours a day (and I still gained 45#). This time I am just riding our exercise bike about 30 minutes a day, and for some reason I've barely gained anything yet!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about the food, too. With #1 I had no appetite; I gained 17 lbs. With #2 I had a much better appetite and gained 50 lbs. Both babies were average in size, with only a 1 lb 1 oz difference between them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think that genetics play the biggest part. The last 4 babies to be born into my family...my brother, my daughter and my sister's two (one boy one girl) have all weighted 7lbs 11 oz! We varied in size and age (my mom was 35 when she had my brother, 13 years ago mind you...my sister was a teenager for both of hers and I was 22). I really wonder what Oakley will weight since it seems so predetermined :LOL As for exercise, I'd say I exercised moderately during my pregnancy so I voted that I had.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Genetics plays a big part. In addition, lifestyle during pregnancy affects birth size somewhat. Good nutrition is probably paramount to exercise in ensuring optimal birthweight gain, but exercise has been shown (but don't ask me to get a footnote at 1:40am
) to produce fitter babies, with better tone and less fatty tissue. (oooooh, I just know this reference on the tip of my tongue...I think I read this in my Expecting Fitness book?). This I believe. I exercised fairly frequently with #1 until I developed high blood pressure at 8 months, and was told to "rest." At term (39 weeks) my son weighed 7'9oz, and he's a well-toned, little "Sting" baby. This second time around is a completely different; I've exercised well throughout pg, have 6-7 weeks left, and feel great--no swelling, no increased BP, more tone, myself. Still, I expect 8 lbs on this guy. Nothing short of genetics (I'm 5'6", my husband is 6'3") and the fact that this is my second child.
I'm rambling. That was a long 2 cents, sorry!
-insomniamama

·
Registered
235 Posts
Oh, I have been wondering the same thing!

I did yoga and hiking with first, and he was born at 38 weeks: 7.5lbs.

This pregnancy, I have been doing more intensive biking and weightlifting a few times a week - I haven't had my baby yet, but at 37 weeks, the u/s measured her to be about 6lbs. I'll have to get back to you once she's born!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think I've seen a strong correlation between exercise and baby weight amongst my kids.

#1 was 6-11; I exercised moderately and gained 15 lbs (not enough; I was afraid to eat!).

#2 was 8-2; I exercised moderately and gained 20 lb.

#3 was 6-12; I exercised a *lot* (aerobics-type class 6 days a week up until birth) and gained about 25 lb

#4 was 5 lb, but a month early, so she doesn't count ;-)! I exercised a lot, and gained about 22 lb

#5 was 5-14, but she was 2 1/2 weeks early. I was still exercising almost daily; don't know how much weight I gained

#6 was 7-6; same level of exercise, weight gain somewhere around 25 lb

#7 was 6-2, but a month early. I exercised several times a week until 32 weeks, then went on bedrest for the next month for preterm labor

#8 was 6-5, 2 weeks early. I exercised less with him than with maybe any of my other kids; gained 20+ lbs

#9 is due in 2 weeks :). I've been exercising only moderately, and have gained about 25 lb. Of course, I have no idea how much he'll weigh at birth :).

I still wonder where I got that 8 lb 2 oz baby, LOL! None of his siblings have really come close, regardless of how much weight I've gained, how close to my duedate they were born, or how much I've exercised. He's a grown young man now, just turned 18, medium height, skinny, but very muscular (he's into martial arts).

Joni, due 7-17-ish

1 - 14 of 14 Posts