Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom just called to ask me what I wanted for Christmas. She knows I've been pretty depressed about my weight gain from being hypothyroid so she suggested I think of an exercise machine. I used to have a Tony Little Gazelle but sold it because we needed the money. I had great results with that but it was before I had a thyroid problem. So she told me to think about it. The place she works (bad bad bad place) sells the Gazelles, Elipticals, Steppers. I'm not sure which one I want. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
What will you use?? That's the question. When I go to the gym, I like the treadmill or the eliptical, so I'd choose one of those. But that's just me. A couple years ago I bought an exercise bike- I really wanted an eliptical, but couldn't afford one. Big mistake. The bike is now sitting in my basement, unused. I used it for about 2 months consistently, and then slowly stopped using it.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I kind of wanted the gazelle, but it didn't push me as hard as I wanted it to. So I think I may go with the eliptical. Maybe I'll go to....that bad store and try them out first and see what I like.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wow, my first double post. I feel so special!

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you want a good hard workout I’d go for the stairstepper. I switched from using the elliptical to the Stairmaster at my club because I’d topped out on the elliptical and needed a harder workout. The Stairmaster gives that to me, and I'm probably never going to top out on that thing.<br><br>
But you should choose the one you think you’ll actually use, for sure. It’s no good if you don’t use it!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
At that evil place, they sell a decent quality eliptical in the price range of $350. (It's gotten very good reviews from many different sources in the "under $1000" range of exercise equipment.) The cheaper versions they sell, not so much. Just FYI.<br><br>
I had a gazelle and hated it! Personally, I thought it was totally bogus.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I agree with not going with the gazelle. We bought one too and it doesn't seem to work you that hard. I have to be going like a "gazelle" to the point of feeling like I am going to break the thing to get much of a workout. My heart rate never gets to the 70% mark that I like on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts