Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is probably the last word that most of us want to think between nausea, fatigue, and a broken foot (okay, at least one of us has a good excuse.)

I have not been great with my exercise routine since finding out that I was pregnant. Possibly initially due to some wallowing in shock, and mild depression. And then, of course, the nausea, vomiting and fatigue set in. However, I got to thinking to day- I miss how great I feel when I exercise. And I feel extra crappy now, so I probably need exercise even more! DD still has a cold, and is not up for a run in the jogging stroller, so I just looked up prenatal workout on youtube, and did one. It felt so great! I did another one after that! I am going to try to do a 30 minute prenatal workout everyday, except Sundays. I'm hopeful that it will help me feel better, physically and mentally, and help prepare my body for childbirth and recovery afterwards. I was a lot better about exercising when I was pregnant with DD, and her delivery was way easier that DS's. I know there were a lot of other factors at play, but I do think that was one of them.

I'm going to try to be accountable to this thread for everyday I exercise, and everyday I don't. I'm also going to post how O feel when I do, and how I feel the days I miss, as a way to keep myself motivated to do this.

Anyone else exercising this go around?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm totally on board, and need the accountability, too. Got into a great exercise routine, jogging/swimming nearly every day a few months before finding out I was pregnant. Now it's challenging just doing my daily 2-mile walk.

SO today I did a little over 2 miles of walking. Hopefully I'll have more to report tomorrow.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 3 mile run is out, too. Just can't do it anymore. I think a 2 mile walk is great. My goal is just to do 30 minutes of moderate exercise 6 days a week.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well doing more than my 2 miles today is out: instead of envisioning the couch on my way home today all I could think of was the bed. However, I did lug 8 library books home on my walk (4 in my backpack and 4 in hand), so I'm going to count that as some extra weight lifting :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 2, and I've already faltered. It's not my fault though, I swear! As soon as I got home from work , DH asked if I wanted to go out to eat, and then to Scheels. It's about an hours drive from our house. Scheels is a huge, huge sports store. He really wants another gun, and wanted to look at their selection. I knew the kids would have fun at Scheels because they have a giant column and overhead aquarium, animatronic historical figures that tell you stories, treats, and a Ferris wheel. I have never been to another sports store like it. By they time we got home, it was past kiddos bedtime, and now past mine. On the bright side, I chased 2 children around that crazy store, and went up and down the huge flights of stairs a few times, so hopefully that counts for something. And that is my excuse. I will do actual exercise tomorrow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey, stairs count as exercise! :)

This thread is a great idea, and hopefully a good motivator for me personally. I will admit right here and now that I absolutely loathe contrived exercise. Digging in the garden, hikes, walking, swimming in the river, hooping, biking, I love those things. Popping in a dvd or using a machine? Ugh. I rebel against it. However, I do have a handful of exercise dvds that I like okay (Callanetics, Ballet Beautiful, Bellydance), and as I can't bike, dig, hike or swim everyday, I made a promise to myself that I would use my dvds and hoop to exercise. I am not horribly out of shape, but I do have some trouble spots I desperately want to strengthen and about 15 superfluous pounds that aren't doing my figure any favors.

My goal is 30-60 minutes of dedicated exercise time everyday. Part of this will be spent exercising with the kids and then when I need to do a dvd (goal is three days per week), I am going to sacrifice part of my toddler's naptime to a dvd. This is a huge thing for me, as I use toddler naptime to do housework/food prep. I will have to find other timeslots to keep up on those tasks. It is simply impossible to do floor typr exercises with a two year old trouncing around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, this is probably the last word that most of us want to think between nausea, fatigue, and a broken foot (okay, at least one of us has a good excuse.)

I have not been great with my exercise routine since finding out that I was pregnant. Possibly initially due to some wallowing in shock, and mild depression. And then, of course, the nausea, vomiting and fatigue set in. However, I got to thinking to day- I miss how great I feel when I exercise. And I feel extra crappy now, so I probably need exercise even more! DD still has a cold, and is not up for a run in the jogging stroller, so I just looked up prenatal workout on youtube, and did one. It felt so great! I did another one after that! I am going to try to do a 30 minute prenatal workout everyday, except Sundays. I'm hopeful that it will help me feel better, physically and mentally, and help prepare my body for childbirth and recovery afterwards. I was a lot better about exercising when I was pregnant with DD, and her delivery was way easier that DS's. I know there were a lot of other factors at play, but I do think that was one of them.

I'm going to try to be accountable to this thread for everyday I exercise, and everyday I don't. I'm also going to post how O feel when I do, and how I feel the days I miss, as a way to keep myself motivated to do this.

Anyone else exercising this go around?
Why don't you try belly dancing ?I tried to stick to an exercise routine but the mood swings and fatigue made me more irritable. Belly dancing helps to induce labor naturally ..

·
Registered
380 Posts
As soon as my foot is healed I plan to resume my yoga practice :)
I also walk and cycle a lot, so I'm happy with that.
The nausea is setting in, so I consider my day if victory if all I managed to do was not puke ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm going to try to add swimming to my routine, but I hate being cold and wet, so keep me accountable, ladies! I plan to keep up my 1 or 2x a week contemporary dance class (no jumping for right now, but hoping to add jumping back in during 2nd tri) and keep cycling my approx 10.5 mi round trip commute every day for as long as possible. Luckily the train journey is really crowded and miserable so it's a huge inducement to just ride to work even when I feel tired. I really need to find a arm strengthening routine because my arm strength is super sad, and I'll need the muscles for hauling around a baby!

I want to make sure I stay active and fit so I feel like myself, and so that I can have fun with my friends. A lot of our social time is spent hiking, cycling, kayaking, etc so if I'm not up to it, I'll miss out on seeing friends.
@MnMtm That store sounds amazing!!! I want to go! :smile:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Perkier that commute sounds awesome!! Are you cycling on the road or in bike lanes/paths or both? When we lived in a bigger city with awesome bike infrastructure, I would cycle a lot more. Now DH is the only brave one to bike in our town, which is not super bike friendly as far as I'm concerned...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a lot of cyclists in our area, but I do still get concerned occasionally about DH on his bike, especially when he rides in more rural areas. You'd think that the busier highways would be more dangerous, but there are hardly ever cyclist-motorist incidents on the busy road; it's the rural ones. I think that's sad, because it says to me that people are more courteous and safe drivers, when there are plenty of witnesses. My uncle got hit and pushed off the road by a truck last year riding his bike in a rural area. The truck driver just took off; didn't even stop to see if he was okay, and he was lying on the ground, with visible blood. My uncle broke his arm, had a concussion, and had some terrible road rash, and other minor injuries. I try to encourage DH to either stay on busier roads, or ride with one of his cycling groups most the time.

On a brighter note; I did actually exercise yesterday! I did another one of the youtube prenatal workouts. I kind of like those ones; they're fun, and I don't worry that any exercises are unsafe, because they are made for pregnant women.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
MnMtm ! Yay for the prenatal workout!! You're inspiring me to give one a try...

Totally know what you mean about the cycling. Sorry about what happened to your uncle, that sounds awful. DH has been "tapped" at least once when we were back in college, but (knocking on lots of wood) has been ok the last few years. Our city is small, and parts of it are more urban/more popular with cyclists, especially near the university, but there are a lot of what I call "rural" drivers - guys and gals with big trucks who drive fast through the city (especially on streets like ours that are wide with no dedicated space for bikes). Just as I typed that, I heard a car screeching to a stop out on our street. I find it so scary/stressful, but for DH, biking is part of how he feels free and independent, and his quality of life would suffer if I tried to get him to bike less.

I'm already imagining "discussions" we'll have about apparati for the baby to ride along with DH...I'm hoping he'll agree to take lots of precautions when the time comes for that. How old or big do babies have to be to ride in bike carriers/trailers? I have seen this one guy around here with an infant car seat thingy somehow rigged to the front of his bike (sort of a Copenhagen-style bike), barreling down the street, but so far haven't actually seen a baby in it!!! I'm not sure i'd be comfortable until the babe is a little older/can hold up their head, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Babies on bikes is one of my favourite things to think about! DH runs a cycle co-op so I've learned lots from him and his co-workers. You can cycle from as early as you are comfortable if you have a car seat in a cargo bike (Dutch style) since the shock absorption is good in those. You could also likely do the same front or back of a bike with an extended frame. For traditional front or back seats (my preference is front) you need to wait a little longer. There are lots of blogs out there with photos of different set-ups! We would love to get a cargo bike but I'm not sure that will work out in time.

I'm in a city with lots of cyclists and so-so cycling provision. It's pretty bad compared to other European cities, but I'm used to it for now, although the usual speed of traffic is quite high, and I'm already finding it hard to keep up the pace.
@MnMtm The rural routes are more dangerous here as well. I'm glad your uncle is OK!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My brother and sister-in-law have one of those that go on the front of the bike. I like the idea of that much better; I would feel more comfortable being able to see my baby the whole time. DH and I have talked about getting "cruiser bikes." He only has a racing bike, which doesn't work well for family bike rides. DS has a good bike, and DD is getting a good bike for Christmas this year. I don't have a bike. Maybe DH and I should get bikes for Christmas, too.

To continue being accountable, I did exercise today. I like finding different workout routines, because I figure it's good to mix things up. I do tend to feel better on the days I am able to exercise. I think it helps mentally and physically.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I keep meaning to look up some good prenatal yoga videos on youtube. My dvd dissapeared during the move :( I used to walk at least 1.5 miles a day before I got pregnant. Now it's SOOO hard to get moving! I want to pull out my bike and get back to biking again before I get too big too.
It doesn't help that I'm paranoid I'm going to lose this baby! Argh! I need a happy medium! I did walk 3/4 of a mile today!
But I'm in!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I am a runner so I plan to keep doing 5-10 km twice a week once my doctor oks it. I am at the point where I understand that there is nothing I can do or avoid in order to keep this pregnancy. It will either work out or it wont and its completely out of my hands.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@MountainMamaGC- Kudos on continuing to run! I always find I have a hard time running when I am pregnant. I'm okay for very short distances, but after about 1km, it starts to make me nauseous. It's a bummer, because I actually really like to run; it's therapeutic, and I sure could use some more therapeutic things right about now.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
@MountainMamaGC- Kudos on continuing to run! I always find I have a hard time running when I am pregnant. I'm okay for very short distances, but after about 1km, it starts to make me nauseous. It's a bummer, because I actually really like to run; it's therapeutic, and I sure could use some more therapeutic things right about now.
Hahaha, who knows how I will feel when I get bigger. (I confess I ran a half marathon a few days after my BFP, but I trained so hard for it and I just could not let it pass me by.)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Babies on bikes is one of my favourite things to think about!
perkier, you've inspired me :) I think as time goes on, we might need a separate thread to talk about all things baby and bike!

I'm pleased to report that my 2-mile walk felt easier both yesterday and today. Hoping that means I can add some other things into the mix one day soon !

1 - 20 of 115 Posts