Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation of our Fall 2015 thread. All who are expecting rainbow babies are welcome to join!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi all! Happy New Year! Fell off for a while with travels & trying to catch up at work.
@Marumi, I'm so sorry to read of your recent developments! I can't imagine how difficult this must be. I hope you find a solution soon. I have heard good things about D Mannose. Maybe you can try for a week to see if it makes an impact? Is it safe for pregnancy (I imagine so but am not sure)? I can't believe how many incompetent doctors you've had to see now. How are you feeling today?
@ascher21, my condolences again, but I am glad life is starting to return to normal. Did you have your scan yet?

How's everyone else?

I had the NT scan today & everything looked great. Phew! I was so nervous! We still struggle to decide on the amnio. I will ask a doctor tomorrow about a later screen, but considering baby a shrink by only a tiny bit, I worry its free cells will still be circulating for a long while. Today was also my last appointment with my RE. She was really scaring me & DH, telling me I'm high risk & shouldn't even consider a midwife practice in a hospital setting (I didn't dare mention home birth). But when I pressed her on why she didn't give us any satisfactory answers. Like she's just pushing me through a flow chart. I will meet with another doctor tomorrow & a midwife next week & then we'll decide. It's all so confusing! I want to do the right thing but don't want to limit myself to a certain kind of practice if I don't have to. And I've not read anything to suggest a vanishing twin in the first trimester makes me high risk. But overall, good news in that baby is growing & doing well so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DungeonQueen

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am dealing with it best I can atm. Have been on bedrest since the 30th and things did better a bit. However, it seems the reason is really not just a mere infection but kidney congestion. I have troubles finding the right medical term for "Nierenstau"...I also gound something referring to it as Hydronephrosis http://www.momjunction.com/articles/hydronephrosis-during-pregnancy_00342575/
Basically the baby really is pressing on the urinary tract and hindering the flow.
When it isn't severe it can be kept at bay with laying down. I noticed I can't be up for longer then 30 mins. to do something. If it gets worse a surgery is performed here where a hard tube is inserted to force the connecting parts between kidney and bladder open. This is switched out every 4 weeks and supposedly very painful. There is a risk of going into labor during. After insertion the tube itself hurts and bladder problems are common so bedrest needs to be continued. The only good part is the kidneys won't die off.
I could hardly find anything about it in English...but it seems a catheder is more common for treatment instead. Sounds less painful. Just like a hassle.
I have a urology appointment again tommorrow to see what treatment I need for the moment. I was hopeful it is resolving until yesterday when my right kidney flared up again. I can't sleep because my right leg is hurting and my whole right side has this burning joint pain sensation. :crying: I will travel to the appointment by train so I can lay down during and only walk the few meters to the doctor's office...then ask to lay down again.

Sorry for only complaining!
@t2009
I hope you get it figured out. It sounds very confusing. I never heard of vanishing twin resulting in high risk either...can't see how it would be a problem.
Glad your baby is well!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello Ladies, I guess I will be cautiously joining you all here. We got a BFP last Wednesday and I think I'm about 4 or 5 weeks along, we decided to wait for any medical treatment so I wont be getting any early US or blood work done for awhile. I am taking progesterone and baby aspirin for now. So we will just wait to see if its a good one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
@Marumi what you are going through sounds so awful and painful, I know what kidney pain is like mine have always been a problem for me and I have been catheterized many times over the years and its really not as bad as it sounds, however I do hope you can avoid it and feel better soon.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@t2009, I find it hard to see why a vanishing twin would make you high risk. I think that's something that all of us struggle with during rainbow pregnancies. We might feel 'high risk' in some ways, but often don't want to be treated high risk. I know the midwives offered a lot more interventions (frequent ultrasounds, etc) than I felt comfortable with. For me, it always comes down to what can we actually do with that information. I didn't feel the benefit of ultrasounds at every checkup, for example, outweighed the possible risk for me. I know some people feel like some of those things can help keep their stress down, it's so individual.

Welcome, @DungeonQueen! I'm hoping this baby sticks around. It's been such a long journey for you.

All is well here at almost 24 weeks. I'm getting together my outfit for being a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding at 31 weeks. I've pretty much decided it's just not very glamorous to wear formal attire at this stage of pregnancy. Or at least ball gowns do not work well on me right now, with my short waist and large baby! Oh well.

I'm feeling pretty good, other than some indigestion starting to creep in. I have to remember to take my papaya extract after meals. It is so nice not to be completely exhausted. Hoping that doesn't come back too soon in the 3rd trimester, which is coming up in just two weeks! :eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts
@Marumi - I really can't believe what you are going through. That sounds so..... awful and surreal. I am hoping that it all somehow spontaneously resolves! 15 weeks or however long you have left doesn't sound so long when we are in the first trimester counting minutes, but now it seems like so long. Even longer to be dealing with pain and bedrest :(
@t2009 - good luck with your decisions. How many weeks are you now? How is baby doing at this point?
@azohri - I think we are due date buddies? I am 24 weeks today. And feeling very glad indeed that I don't need to be buying a bridesmaids dress! I hope you find something very, very comfortable to wear.
@DungeonQueen - I am so glad to see you here and pray my secular prayers that this little one sticks. I took baby aspirin, progesterone and, uh, folguard, during my frist trimester. It was good to feel like I was doing something every day, even if I'm not sure if it did anything. I hope the progesterone is treating you well, side effect-wise.

AFM - I'm glad the holidays are over. Time is flying by in some ways, and I have done next to nothing to prepare for a baby. Still hard to believe it is happening. I'm still not sure where this baby will be born, though with my blood sugars being as good as they are, I really can't see going to the hospital at this point. I'm not sure at what point I am really going to let myself get excited and start planning? The birth.... I dunno, is it a combo of going to births and the fact that this baby follows a miscarriage? My last births I was sooooo excited about the birth and the newborn period. Not feeling it this time. It just seems like something to get through. Maybe that's how most people feel and I was just so interested in birth back then that I felt differently. Who knows.

·
Registered
392 Posts
@DungeonQueen - I am so glad to see you here and pray my secular prayers that this little one sticks. I took baby aspirin, progesterone and, uh, folguard, during my frist trimester. It was good to feel like I was doing something every day, even if I'm not sure if it did anything. I hope the progesterone is treating you well, side effect-wise.

Thank you for the warm thoughts, I'm doing ok but I could totally go without the hot flashes from the progesterone. I'm taking 200 mg at night so I sleep through most of the other side affects but it's only for the next few weeks so I will suffer through.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'm taking 200 mg at night so I sleep through most of the other side affects but it's only for the next few weeks so I will suffer through.

Ugh, I'm sorry! I'm SO anxious to stop using my progesterone. I respond well to even small amounts so I'm so ready to be done, it seems all my symptoms come directly from my supplementation.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well I'm spotting again so I'm not sure anything is really helping or how long this will even last

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@DungeonQueen, still hoping for you.
@Lizafava, just a few days off from due date buddies. I'll be 24 weeks tomorrow.

So my kids were confirmed with chicken pox this morning. It seems to be a very mild case for both of them, they are hardly even itchy and no fever. I am not showing any signs of spots and thankfully am at a relatively sweet spot in pregnancy to be exposed, but am still feeling a bit nervous. I did have it as a child, so presumably am immune, although my varicella antibody test came back negative at the beginning of pregnancy (didn't show immunity, although apparently the test may not be all that accurate because we don't get exposed to the virus much these days).

One of the midwives I'm seeing recommended getting the varicella immunoglobin, but I think I'm going to decline it. It's already been at least 4 days since I've been exposed and the FDA insert for the immunoglobin was not in any way reassuring that it would be worth doing (ie. it literally said "there is no evidence this will reduce the incidence or severity of varicella", plus it's class C and they haven't done testing on it to determine safety. um, yeah.).

Ironically, the midwife said she's not so concerned about baby directly, she's concerned about my getting CP, pneumonia, and a high fever. My family doctor said he's not so concerned about me, he's concerned about congenital defects in baby (which my research suggests is less than a 0.5% risk). Kind of funny.

So, the kids are under quarantine for at least a week and we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I went for lab tests today (HCG & progesterone) and will go again in 3 days, so I hope they have some good numbers for me by the end of the week or at least some answers.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I went for lab tests today (HCG & progesterone) and will go again in 3 days, so I hope they have some good numbers for me by the end of the week or at least some answers.
Have been praying for you, and will continue to do so. How is the spotting?

Reactions: DungeonQueen

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have been praying for you, and will continue to do so. How is the spotting?
Thank you so much for praying for us. The spotting has been off and on mostly dark/brown but some red here and there, I haven't had any real cramps but alot of pressure so its hard to tell what's going on. My symptoms seem to be pretty consistent at least m/s weiss so that gives me hope everything might be ok still.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi mamas, I'm coming in to join you all.
I am 7 weeks pregnant now with a rainbow after my water broke right before 20 weeks and my daughter was stillborn this summer. I'm feeling ok, kind of on a roller coaster of feeling hopeful, positive, confident, and so happy... and then hit with waves of anxiety and worry. I just want time to go faster right now I guess.
Happy to be in a place with other mamas who understand, and to see so much hope and babies on the way :)

DungeonQueen, thinking of you. I've had spotting in both of my previous pregnancies (I have a 2.5 year old son as well), with no issues... maybe everything will resolve itself? I think it's fairly common... my midwife said up to 1/3 of pregnancies even. I will be hoping your numbers come back positive.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thank you again ladies for all the well wishes, I appreciate all of you. This one just wasn't meant to last I guess. I hope all of you have wonderful pregnancies and births.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Again, @DugeonQueen, I'm so sorry. I hope it all goes as quickly as possible so you can start healing. Prayers & big hugs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sorry I've been off line for a while. Such an unexpectedly busy start to the new year! Thank you all for your thoughts on risks & the vanishing twin factor. We're 14 weeks tomorrow so 2 weeks left until my scheduled amnio. But DH & I actually had a great talk about everything & I think I will be cancelling it! I feel so relieved that he's on the same page, or at least willing to be. We will do a detailed ultrasound (probably at both 16 & 20 weeks) & we'll revisit the amnio option if there's anything seriously amiss but for now the plan is to nix it. The bottom line is I'm not afraid. I don't need the amnio to calm my nerves or anything & chances are it wouldn't change our resolve to have this baby. With all our losses I just realize nothing is certain ever, so I'm just enjoying every time I get to hear that heartbeat. As for being high risk or not, the midwives I saw yesterday think I'm not high risk & we talked about just monitoring things. @azohri, I know what you mean about feeling high risk in some ways, but you're right about thinking about what you'd do with the information. It feels so tenuous because of the losses, but that doesn't make it high risk. I think that's tripping me up.
@azohri & @Lizafava, I can't believe you're at 24 weeks! How amazing! Glad your both feeling well! And yes, good luck with the bridesmaid dress azohri.
@Lizafava, I can see where you're coming from in terms of not planning. You'll get there. I can't imagine buying anything for this baby or rearranging things until it's here! I think it's totally normal for a pregnancy after loss. @azohri, I hope you're family recovers from the CP quickly & you avoid it altogether! How are you feeling? So strange the conflicting reports from your doc vs. your midwife! It's so confusing when providers' opinions vary so widely!

Welcome @farmerheather! Glad you found us & I'm hoping for a smooth pregnancy for you & baby!
@Marumi, I continue to think of you & I hope things are improving!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts