Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am trying again for the umpteenth time to give up sugar. i did last new years, cut waaaaay back on eating sugary things (mostly home baked goods) to a couple of times a week. that was great until my wedding (august) and has been up and down since them, mostly down this month. it's terrible. i am very happy with my eating habits which include whole, unprocessed foods and lots of fresh organic fruits and vegetables, but this sugar thing is so hard for me to let go. i mostly eat it in baked goods, i rarely eat candy or that kind of thing. i know there are emotional reasons, trying to sort that out, but after christmas i believe i just have to give it up completely if i am going to get it out of my diet.<br><br>
just looking for tips from others who have given it up.<br>
thanks,<br>
mandi

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I love baking and I love baked goods. I'm also seeing how avoiding sugar helps me lose weight. So I try to not to have any baked goods in the house. I'll have them at a friend's house or a restaurant. I'll have one piece of cake at a party and I'll only do baking when I want to bring something for a potluck or event that way I'll only eat one not half the batch. I'm looking forward to hearing any other ideas others have.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
There's a book that looks interesting called "Lick the Sugar Habit." I haven't bought it yet but I plan to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>mandib50</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">hi, i am trying again for the umpteenth time to give up sugar. i did last new years, cut waaaaay back on eating sugary things (mostly home baked goods) to a couple of times a week. that was great until my wedding (august) and has been up and down since them, mostly down this month. it's terrible. i am very happy with my eating habits which include whole, unprocessed foods and lots of fresh organic fruits and vegetables, but this sugar thing is so hard for me to let go. i mostly eat it in baked goods, i rarely eat candy or that kind of thing. i know there are emotional reasons, trying to sort that out, but after christmas i believe i just have to give it up completely if i am going to get it out of my diet.<br><br>
just looking for tips from others who have given it up.<br>
thanks,<br>
mandi</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I don't have much advice, but I am constantly trying not to eat sugar, or foods that are simple carbs. I have too many issues, including a UTI I am trying to battle, and eating sugar just makes matters worse.<br>
One thing that seems to help me is writing down foods that I should be eating. Then I buy those foods only. It takes a while to break a habit, but once you do it, your almost home free.<br>
Sarah

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Here are some ideas -<br><br>
-Don't buy any ready-to-eat sweets. Only make homemade. When eating sweets requires some work, you'll be more reluctant.<br><br>
-When you do decide to make some homemade treats, only use natural, unrefined sweeteners: honey, molasses, pure maple syrup, sucanat, brown rice syrup - experiment and see which ones you like. These natural sweeteners have flavors in them besides just "sweet" (unlike sugar, which just tastes sweet and makes you want more and more); this makes your body better able to know when to stop - you naturally become "full" of that taste and don't want anymore. I find this to be true. I might make a cake sweetened only with maple syrup, and it's really yummy, but at a certain point my body says "Okay, enough maple syrup!" and I don't want anything else sweet. As a side benefit, these sweeteners are a lot better for you.<br><br>
-Don't try to quit or give it up. That's begging for rebellion! Just aim to cut back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts