Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
My 4 yo dd recently attended a half-day arts and crafts camp. It is staffed by adult teachers, but mostly high school volunteers work with the hands-on stuff with the kids. Well, there's one volunteer there who clearly doesn't like her job and seems generally unenthusiastic about working with the kids, especially with my dd.

DD has only been there once, but she is scheduled to attend one more half day with a friend. Usually I wouldn't send her back at all, but despite this teacher, she did have fun. The next day she's scheduled to go there is with a friend, so that's the only reluctance I have in not canceling.

Now, I only saw the last 20 min. of the day, but in that time, this girl rather sternly corrected my child repeatedly. I know that dd is "exuberant," (meaning she is high energy, she is not violent nor does she usually interfere with other children's rights, but she is definitely what you might term spirited). For example, they are doing a group dance: at the part where they are supposed to wiggle, my dd is not just wiggling, but jumping up and down and turning in a circle. I think this is fine, but this teacher takes her by both shoulders and directs her to stand exactly in the circle facing into the circle (how you'd stand in a circle if you weren't moving). In another activity, dd was chosen by another teacher, a song leader (adult), to play a part in a song. Later, she wanted another turn. Not all the kids had a turn yet, so of course, it's fair that dd was told no. Yet, it was the way the volunteer got in her face and said quite meanly, "No, DD, you already had a turn." Gosh, typing it doesn't convey the attitude. Anyway, trust me, this volunteer does not like dd and it shows.

So what would you do? DD wasn't in the least bit fazed by this volunteer - she is just too joyful to really let someone get her down, thankfully. I know dd would have fun going there with her friend, but I hate to think of her subjected to this volunteer again.

This sure affirms my decision to homeschool though!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bebelus
Hi -
DD wasn't in the least bit fazed by this volunteer - she is just too joyful to really let someone get her down, thankfully. I know dd would have fun going there with her friend, but I hate to think of her subjected to this volunteer again.
The volunteer sounds very icky, but it dosn't bother your DD, so I would let her go again. Then it will all be over!

Our kids will encounter mean people life inspite of the fact we homeschool. It isn't something we can keep from happening. If she didn't want to go back, then I wouldn't make her, but since she wants to, I would let her.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I think I agree with Linda that if DD isn't phased by it then let it go.

If you say something 2 things could happen...1. the vol could retaliate and be even worse or 2. they get all bent of shape and not want your child to return
Both are not great!

Maybe another option is you staying and helping to head off any of these actions.

I'm not sure how "strongly" she grabbed your child by the shoulders but if you thought it was inappropriate then that needs to be addressed for sure since that was a physical thing and I think that can cross the line easily since adults often forget their strength when they are frustrated with kids KWIM?

HOWEVER, if you decide not to address this issue before your DD attends again I would still talk to the director of the program afterwards and give them feedback about the volunteer and express your understanding of needing volunteers but having a bad one is not good just to fill the space!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
UGGGGGGGHHHHHH. What a pain....but aren't you relieved your daughter is resiliant enough not to let someone with a bad attitude destroy her good time? That's a VERY good thing.

BUT....
The worker really shouldn't have put her hands on your child in that way. You should go to her yourself and let her know you saw it. That way, there will be no "misunderstanding" about what took place.

Also, I wouldn't speak about the issue with the worker in front of your child because as far as she can understand nothing is amiss and she's totally in the dark about the way this teacher feels about her, if she knew it might make her sad: "What did I do to make her mad at me? Why is she mad at me? Maybe I'm bad and that's why she's mad at me" sort of thing....when she really didn't do anything at all...does that make sense...as far as your daughter knows everything is fine and great. So why not let it stay that way? Just keep a watchful eye on it.

Aren't you glad you homeschool? I know I am. It was the bbest decision I EVER made.

Hugs and kisses to you and yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.