Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone -- I am planning to deliver with a midwife at Lehigh Valley Hospital Cedar Crest, in the birthing center. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience there, especially with a midwife. Please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I delivered with Laurice recently. Overall, I was happy with the wellness approach to birth, but I think she lacks a bit of professionalism (talks about other patients) and is a bit too laid back for my taste.

Although the website calls it a "birthing center" it is no different from any other hospital. There is a tub in a separate closet down the hall.

Do you have specific questions?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I delivered with Laurice and Tina last July and had a great experience (didn't have the issue the previous poster did). I was a VBA2C, but I think all the rooms are the same. I really liked the hospital staff, although the labor nurse had an issue with a m/w and would only listen to the "doctor" (who I did not like) for some things (although to me she was great!). The PP recovery was really good, loved the nurses and aids I had.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had several clients who birthed (or tried to) with Laurice. The last VBAC client was told she was set for a VBAC and then 2 weeks before her EDD, the back up doc told her it was too risky and she would have to schedule her c/s. She was devastated and in the end was able to find a fabulous mw who took her care at that late time in her pregnancy.

I "second" the previous posters questioning of professionalism.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I used the Midwives for both of my births, but Laurice did not attend either of them and the midwives who did are no longer with her practice. I had a very positive experience with both births, and do not recall any issues with client confidentiality during my time spent w/ Laurice during my visits (although to be honest I am not sure if I would really remember a random comment).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amila View Post
If you would like to ask me why I switched from Laurice to another midwife at 39 weeks pregnant, pm me

As for LVH, it has an astronomical c-section rate, like in the 50% range (from what I have heard, I have no stats to back that up). It is a very good hospitaal for other things though.
2007 Stats from PA dept of health:

Births: 3,716
CS: 996 (CS Rate: 26.8%)
RCS: 291
VBAC: 103 (VBAC rate: 26.4%)

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Laurice delivered my DD in January. My only complaint was she sort of blew me off at first when I called to tell her I was in labor. She said my contractions were still too far apart to be doing anything... they were 7 minutes apart, but STRONG and lasting 2 minutes long and I had been going stuck on that for 30 some hours already. Turns out my DD was positioned shoulder first. But luckily Laurice was able to readjust her and I was able to have a vag birth. I know if I had been with an ob I would have had a section.

But other than that I really love the midwives, and Laurice knows my history now and likely won't doubt me again. She apologized profusely after she realized what I had been dealing with and that I wasn't just a first timer freakin out.

I am staying with their practice for woman wellness visits and if I have another baby they will be my care provider then too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Midwives have lost all birthing privileges at LVH, as of about 2 weeks ago. I am 31 weeks pregnant and have seen Laurice from the start, and now, less than 10 weeks from delivery, must find someone else.

She apparently is too big of a patient advocate for LVH's tastes, and they revoked her privileges. Tina will be delivering until the end of June, and then they are done at LVH.

It's a shame, as far as I am concerned. I've had nothing but wonderful visits with Laurice, and have no question as to her professionalism or dedication to the women of this area.

There are rallies, people are writing to the admin at LVH, sending letters to the editor of the Morning Call, etc.

Let's not sit back and allow LVH to take away our right to choose!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
2007 Stats from PA dept of health:

Births: 3,716
CS: 996 (CS Rate: 26.8%)
RCS: 291
VBAC: 103 (VBAC rate: 26.4%)
There are some allegations that those stats are falisified. I'm trying to see how credible that is by surveying women who have birthed there in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Please stop by my website and add to my data collection if you can, and encourage anyone you know who has birthed there to do the same. Thank you!

Jenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.