Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Personally my "TF" so far has been mostly limited to switching to organics, pastured meats, raw milk and whole foods with only a little fermented foods thrown in (yogurt, kim chee, kombucha, kefir).

But yes, it's taken care of a lot of my PCOS symptoms. Going grain-free for almost a year helped my system sort-of "reset", but for maintaining, I seem to be doing pretty well on this quasi-TF diet (I'm still on limited grains, though). We even managed to get pregnant without drugs.

· Registered
290 Posts
I haven't been officially diagnosed with PCOS but have many of the symptoms, and did have dermoid cysts on my ovaries age 19-20 for which I had surgery. I have been eating TF, low-carb since December 1 and have lost 32 pounds. I really believe it's positively affected my cycles--I had EWCM the past 2 months after not having it for years--and I am fairly sure I ovulated last month, also had a 29 day cycle which is almost unheard of for me. I also started taking NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) last month which is an amino acid that has been studied for PCOS. One trial found 21% of clomid-only patients ovulated with 0 pregnancies while clomid WITH NAC 49% ovulation and 2 pregnancies. NAC is not too expensive, 12.99 for about 2 month supply at Vitamin Cottage. Who knows, though, if it's the TF, the NAC, or also I started exercising this month...
I HIGHLY recommend trying to go really TF to help with your PCOS and maybe give the NAC a shot too.

· Registered
2,937 Posts

I was going to start thread but I ended up finding this. I have a lot going on health wise and while I haven't gotten a diagnosis other than high prolactin levels (since my loss 2 years ago) I suspect PCOS. We've been switching over to a more TF-like diet and I'm hoping it might help.

Does anyone else have any personal experience they'd like to share? Or any updates on how you're doing

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm not sure if I actually have PCOS, but I do have very long cycles (3 since April; one of which was anovulatory) and I'm not sure if it is a combination of going off the Pill, recovering from a milk eating disorder, or the fact that I am vegetarian.

However, the irregular cycles are a huge motivating factor for me looking into switching to a TF diet. I'll update to this thread when it becomes more relevant, but I, too, am interested in other people's stories.

· Registered
8,340 Posts
I do know that a lot of women have eliminated their PCOS symptoms by going really low carb/no sugar. Carbs & sugar increase insulin which increases androgen production...which leads to insulin resistance...which leads to more androgen production...which desensitizes cells to insulin even further... It's a big vicious cycle that can only be broken by reducing the insulin production by reducing the carbs & sugar. Going grain-free has given the most impressive results I've read about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.