Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is an old topic - I can't find anything on it in reviews, and I can't get the search thing to work. I am wondering what people's experiences with Bumkins covers (not all-in-ones) have been? Good, bad? How did they compare to bummis SIWW, if you have used both?

Rather than make a second post, what are your experiences with snug-to-fits fitted diapers? Not necassarily with a bumkins cover, just in general. Good, bad? Is there a non-budget-breaking fitted diapers you'd recommend over the snug-to-fit? Which is better, velcro or snaps?

I'm having a boy, if that matters (I know soaking patterns differ with boys...)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bumkins are great, especially with a trifolded prefold or contoured diaper. They never wick at the legs or waist, wash off easily if you are washing by hand, cuz they're slick, and dry fast, cuz they don't hang onto moisture. They are super trim, too.
The negatives are that they tend to fit tight in the thigh for chubby thighed babies, the foldback tabs are kinda stiff and pokey (although it has never poked or scratched my babies), and it is too trim to fit over many types of diapers.
Snug to Fit:
Ummm. I have only tried the velcro style. It's an ok diaper. The flannel and velcro get ugly really fast. I've heard others say they fall apart quickly, but I didn't use ours enough to find out. It is very wide in the crotch. Much too wide for a newborn, IMO. It is not terribly absorbant, so not good for a heavy wetter, really.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What Kermit said about Bumkins.lol

But i really, really didn't like Snug to Fits. I had the snap version and it never fit dd right, one leg would be too big but the waist would be tight. the snaps came unsnapped when I breathed in the general direction of the diaper(like in the same room
: ). I know some people love them to pieces but not I. I also second the big crotch and they're not all that absorbant.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I really disliked Snug-to-Fits as well. I absolutely hated the snap version and that is not too strong of a word for how I felt. I used them on a boy and the doubler never covered the part up front where he wet and the rise was too short snapped down, too long snapped up and the waist snaps were always in the wrong place- it was too tight or falling down, and the doubler fell down and crunched up between his legs so he had a thin sopping sagging part up front.

The velcro ones wore out really fast and they literally fell off- the velcro was so weak after awhile- I had them for probably 8 months and they were only a supplement to my ME OS dipes. I know some people love these, but I never could get them to work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't mind my snugtofts. They aren't my faves but around the house during the day they work really well.

Bumkins - I don't really like mine. Way too big for my girl. But I love my bsww.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Bumkins were the first covers I ever used and I really liked them. They come in cute prints and dry easily. I did find that they ran a bit small though so you may need to size up. I never used a Bummis so I can't compare the two.

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK, I will go on the record saying I found STFs to be an excellent, inexpensive fitted diaper. I used these from the time my son was 4 months old until very recently, around 19 months old or so. The only reason I retired them is so I could pass them along to a pregnant friend considering cloth diapering before they were totally thrashed. But they still have plenty o' life in them and were in daily use for 15 months or so.

I only had one velcro closure, the other 12 were snap, and I definitely prefered the snaps. The velcro held together fine but it was only one diaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts