Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved forward in an interview process, and have been given an opportunity to explain in writing my work history and reasons for leaving prior places of employment.

While I have always left voluntarily and have left in excellent standing, there have been times when I've only worked in one place for six months. We moved three times due to two apprenticeships for my husband.

Then, most recently, I took time to stay home with my daughter. How do I explain my employment history without looking flaky?

I am willing to commit 100% to this job, and I want long-term employment. But I only have a small space for each of my past jobs to explain my reasons for leaving.

Help! Please!

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I think the consensus it that it's best to just write "family caregiver" or something similar to explain periods of being home with children. It's simple and people know what you mean. As far as the moves go, again, be simple and honest --- moved out of state for family educational opportunity, or something like that.
A cover letter or in person interview would be an appropriate place to explain that you left all jobs in good standing and are looking for a long term commitment now.
Good luck!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, MamaJen. I made sure to add the 'in good standing' etc. into my cover letter and interview, so perhaps I am worrying too much. The application is written and leaves only a small amount of space for each reply. Should I attach a second sheet to explain the reasons for leaving in depth?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Not in HR or anything but my first instinct is no. People appreciate brevity. Perhaps when you explain in the interview that you are looking for long-term you can indicate what has changed so they know you are being honest with them.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceeveg View Post
We moved three times due to two apprenticeships for my husband.
If I was the interviewer, this would be my red flag. And not sure I'd be allowed to ask you when you will be moving again for your DH. If your DH has a permanent position, or will not be moving for a job anymore, then I'd be sure to volunteer this information, quite clearly.

And I would not add a second sheet. They want short answers, so give them that.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceeveg View Post
I have recently moved forward in an interview process, and have been given an opportunity to explain in writing my work history and reasons for leaving prior places of employment.

While I have always left voluntarily and have left in excellent standing, there have been times when I've only worked in one place for six months. We moved three times due to two apprenticeships for my husband.

Then, most recently, I took time to stay home with my daughter. How do I explain my employment history without looking flaky?

I am willing to commit 100% to this job, and I want long-term employment. But I only have a small space for each of my past jobs to explain my reasons for leaving.

Help! Please!

I would try to find a way to emphasize that you're looking to "put down roots" in the area and want a long-term position. As far as staying home with your daughter, I've seen people explain periods of voluntary unemployment as time spent "focused on my growing family." Good luck! It will probably be easier to explain in person than on paper.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Just wanted to add a "yeah that" to what someone metioned about making it clear that you aren't going to be picking up and moving in 6 months. Try to fit it into the conversation casually though, if it's a real red flag to them they may ask, if not, it might tip the scales if they aren't totally sure about wether you'll stick around. Something like "I'm so glad to have this opportunity. Now that we've settled in one place for a while I'm excited for the chance to work in a position I love for a long time." Or asking about opportunities for growth in the company, etc... letting them know that you see yourself there long enough to move into a new position with more responsibility in 6mo-3yrs depending on what type of work it is.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.