Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to knit my dh a pair of socks for Christmas. He has big feet, size 13. Has anyone come across a good pattern for large sized men's socks? Share some links or book titles with me, pretty please?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
The Gentleman's Sock with Lozenge Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush is made for a man's 11 to 12. Unless he has shapely calves (like my DH) the only thing you would to do is lengthen the foot portion.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
The Gentleman's Sock with Lozenge Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush is made for a man's 11 to 12. Unless he has shapely calves (like my DH) the only thing you would to do is lengthen the foot portion.
That's a beautiful pattern. I would love to make those for myself.

But if you don't care for it or can't find it, try the Whippoorwill Hill sock links, or the links on KPC. Lots to choose from at both those places!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
You could also do the one in The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns. That way you could pick yarn and needles and then figure out what you want (as opposed to needing certain ones for a specific pattern). The ones I'm doing for DH are worked on 75 stitches on size 2's. The pattern in the book has a stitch count of 76 on one of the options so it gets large if you need to (it gets larger or smaller if need be). It's been at every library I've ever gone to. I photocopied it.

The only change to most patterns are going to be in foot length and stitch count if you want a higher sock (calf shaping or higher stitch count with longer ribbing to allow for stretch).

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My husband also wears a 13. I'm less intimidated to make him a sweater for his 38" chest than I am to make him socks. I'm going to do them toe-up and use the math from the universal toe-up sock pattern. I have the yarn (trekking xxl in color 69) and the needles (addi turbo 2.5mm), and if i do them both at the same time I might get them done in time for his birthday (Oct. 9). I'm planning a simple 3x1 rib for the instep & leg, something I can do while watching movies at night or while reading MDC. 3x1 rib is stretchy and understated and won't fight with the subtle striping of the trekking.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If it is more of a length concern, rather than width (
), a lot of sock patterns are knit to "1.5" short of desired length". I'm making my DH some socks in WW right now (poor feller works outside in upstate NY winters) - there are many patterns which would suit your needs. I'm using a Lion Brand pattern, despite the fact that I usually *gag* at their patterns.
They have some nice basic winter stuff free.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
What one do you have that does 1.5 less? All the patterns I've ever done are 2-2 1/4 less than.....Hmmmm.

Ok I just pulled out my pattern from the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns and it depends on the length of the foot. The longer the foot the sooner you start your toe decreases. For instance the shortest one they have on here says to work in st st until it measures 4.5 " from the back of the heel or about 1 1/4 " less than desired foot length. The largest size says work in st st until work measures 9" from back of the heel or 2.5" less than desired foot length.

Like we've all said, the foot portion is where you'll change it to fit your DH.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
What one do you have that does 1.5 less? All the patterns I've ever done are 2-2 1/4 less than.....Hmmmm.

Ok I just pulled out my pattern from the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns and it depends on the length of the foot. The longer the foot the sooner you start your toe decreases. For instance the shortest one they have on here says to work in st st until it measures 4.5 " from the back of the heel or about 1 1/4 " less than desired foot length. The largest size says work in st st until work measures 9" from back of the heel or 2.5" less than desired foot length.

Like we've all said, the foot portion is where you'll change it to fit your DH.
Not sure about others, but the Universal Toe-Up pattern from Knitty has you do the foot until it's 1.5" less than the desired length, then you work the heel.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I guess it does depend on which direction you go but even the ones I use (usually Wendy's toe up ones) say 2-2.5 inches. Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For those of you with partners who wear a size 13, could you measure their foot length for me? I cast on for George's birthday socks and I need to know how long to make them, but I want them to be a surprise, so I can't just measure his foot! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KnitterMama View Post
Yeah OMM - it might be due to the type of pattern we're using? I always knit cuff-down.
I just did some toe ups for me (well only one so far
) and it said to knit until I reached about 2 inches less thandesired length. DH's are being done cuff down and work until about 2 1/4 less than desired length. I'm guessing it has to do with the type of heel and toe you do. I know Wendy's toe up with gusset and slip stitch heel is 3 inches and that's a short row heel.

jennnk the pattern in the book I am currently using for DH's sock has a pattern (the one I mentioned above) sized for a U.S. man's 11-12 and it says to knit the foot portion for about 8 3/4" (22 cm) from the back of the heel or about 2 1/4 (5.5 cm) less than desired length. Maybe for a size 13 you would do 9-9 1/4 inches before starting toe decreases. Hope someone else can give you a better answer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.