Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross posted from my LWAB group in case anyone here has an idea to help...thanks!!

Sorry I've been AWOL again, life has been taking me for a ride, especially work. And Kait just did an 18-hour nursing strike so my boobs are screaming - I *just* gave my manual pump to my friend a few weeks ago and wanted to throttle myself - I've bene hand expressing and it HURTS! She finally nursed around 3am (after not nursing since 9am before that), and for another couple minutes just now, but my boobs are still very angry. The poor girl is SO congested (hit her like a brick wall, and now I feel like a total jerk, Helen - T O T A L J E R K) that nothing I've tried is working; the best result I'm getting is with a decongestant, and that's still not working well enough to have her want to nurse normally. She'll drink some water, but doesn't want to nurse. I had her checked out and her ears, lungs, and throat are OK, it's just she's so congested...and because she's not taking in a lot of liquids, they're not thinning out real well - vicious cycle. Steam, saline, breastmilk, suction essential oils - none of it is breaking this congestion. The decongestant is helping a little, but I hate pumping her up with it, but it's the only way she'll even consider nursing since yesterday morning. She won't even drink the stuff I've expressed from a cup, straw, and only took a couple mouthfuls from a syringe and as a boobcicle....BUT - she's still hydrated cause she's making diapers, and crying tears, so I'm *trying* to not worry too much and hope this breaks up on its own, and just offering water and boob often. Between her and D, I am recently a wreck, and that's why I've not been posting recently. If anyone has an other suggestions for congestion, big time congestion, please let me know - I'll try just about anything at this point if it will help her get back to nursing so she can get better sooner. I've been a wreck thinking she's going to wean because of this since she's been refusing breastmilk in all forms (and I tasted it, there's nothing weird tasting about it as far as I can tell - and I haven't changed anything recently in my routine) but at least she's staying hydrated. I don't know why she wants water and not breastmilk.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Sorry you're not getting replies. I saw someone before suggest drops of bm up the nose to clear congestion. Have you tried baby vicks? We had chronic stuffiness in our old dry house this winter, and it was the only thing that helped. And I hate to say it, but if nothing else works, you may need to buy some baby decongestant.

Keep trying and
good luck!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Talk to your ped about also using baby nose drops, but be sure to have breaks in between each dose so she doesn't get dependent on them.

Are you using saline nalas spray and a bulb syringe to try to remove congestion?

Also, lots of warm baths with Johnson's Vapor-bath.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.