Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14056592/

Quote:
DALLAS - Exxon Mobil Corp. said Thursday it earned $10.36 billion in the second quarter, the second largest quarterly profit ever recorded by a publicly traded U.S. company.

The earnings figure was 36 percent above the profit it reported a year ago. High oil prices helped boost the company's revenue by 12 percent to a level just short of a quarterly record. Its shares rose to a new high in morning trading.
Wow. Seriously, I don't understand much about business and I would like to understand why they're making so much money but the high prices aren't blamed on their proffiteering.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If anyone knows THAT answer, please let us know. I was watching the govt. channel last night (really bored and nothing was on) and there was a rep speaking on the floor. SHe showed a chart with the avg. gas price when Bush took office, $1.45/gallon and what it is now, $3.01 a 100% increase.....

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
and i'm pretty sure that is just base salary-not bonuses or fringe benefits like private corporate jets and sweet pads all over the world.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That makes me want to vomit. How can they NOT be gouging us with their prices. That amount of money for one person makes me so ANGRY
:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorian
I have a feeling it is because our government takes visa swipes with their buttcracks.

V.
:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Quote:
On Jon Stewart they crunched some numbers and BP profitted 55,000 per SECOND last quarter....
I don't think so. Their profit for the second quarter was $7.27 billion, which works out to about $55,000 per minute, not per second. A big difference, but still a tidy sum. I'd settle for $55,000 a quarter.
:

I just wish I hadn't sold my shares in Exxon-Mobil a few years back.
:

Gasoline is still cheap in the U.S. compared to other countries. Consider yourself fortunate to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
D'oh in my excitment I typed second... minute- your right they're still rich. But I run on grease so none of it is my money...woo hoo

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Quote:
I run on grease so none of it is my money...woo hoo
Good for you. If more people would do what you're doing, we wouldn't be in this mess.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wow, so the war really doesn't matter? I thought that was why the prices were so high. Silly me. I believed what I was told. I also believe that the government and corporations have our best interests at heart. Gosh. What can be done? maybe if we teach simple math and explain to people what profit really is, then they'll actually get pissed off.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I heard on the radio yesterday that American gasoline consumption was only up by .5%. Less than half of a percent, and Exxon profit is up by over 36%?

The least they could do is kiss us before they screw us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts