Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 9 month old ds and am just wondering, for those of you with children on the autistic specturm, what was their eye contact like at this age?

My ds has good eye contact when you are not close to him, but when people get close he looks away or ignores them. Is this typical? He also moves his wrists and ankles a lot. My ped said this was normal, but I am not sure. Has anyone ever seen this?

Thank you so much in advance. I am a very concerned and anxious first time mother.

Jennifer

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
My child has not been diagnosed on the spectrum yet, but is suspected, and his eye contact is excellent. He is very affectionate with dh and I. So I don't know if eye contact is always a good "measuring stick" to use, kwim?

Welcome to MDC, by the way.
:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I wouldn't use that as the only diagnostic tool. My ds(he has high functioning autism) at a very, very early age never answered you when you called him and had eye contact problems. He also never slept, was standoffish and didn't like swaddling or too much body contact and didn't "play" right either. A lot of little flags so if it's just this eye contact thing bothering you don't fret right now. Keep an eye on him if it makes you feel better and if you start seeing other signs, like a speech delay when the time comes etc. Then ask for an eval when he is a few months older. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Have you had his vision tested to rule that out? (If he watches you across the room, but not up close, could he be farsighted?)

Does he babble and interact? Respond to his name?

He could also be getting overstimulated, if you are worried, call your local early childhood program, every state has them. It cant HURT to have them come out and if they say he's fine, then great, at least you can stop worrying!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Have you had his vision tested to rule that out? (If he watches you across the room, but not up close, could he be farsighted?)

Does he babble and interact? Respond to his name?

He could also be getting overstimulated, if you are worried, call your local early childhood program, every state has them. It cant HURT to have them come out and if they say he's fine, then great, at least you can stop worrying!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Thank you all so much for responding. He does babble and he responds to his name unless he is engrossed with a toy. He is also interactive. I work with children with autism, so am hyper aware I think. I am just not sure how much eye contact is normal, or how often he should respond to his name. Things like that.

Thank you again for responding.

Jennifer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Jennifer, I can relate to the hyper sensitivity to autism issue, my toddler is inconsistent to his name, especially when engrossed in a toy. His eye contact is not wonderful either. He has sensory regulation issues and has been helped tremendously with Early Intervention. It is not always autism!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts