Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my birth plan and can't decide about whether baby should have eye goop?? My ped said it is only for chlamidia (or whichever std that was) and if you don't have the std, then there's no risk, but that he still thinks you should do it. Well. . .I know I don't have the std and I'm willing to do a pee test to prove it. . .so. . .I can skip the eye goop, right???
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,284 Posts
That would be my thought. I want to skip the eye-goop too, but at the same time I'm scared too. Not b/c I have std's - I don't, but I'm on Medicaid, and I've heard that in NY if you're on Medicaid and turn down anything thats routinely done to the baby CPS will come after you. My midwives did say that they delay it until the baby is several hours old though which I guess is nice. And, at the birthing center that I'm going to they don't give the initial Hep B vaccine, so I'm escaping that just by getting lucky I guess - and the ped I chose won't do it until the first well baby visit (after he see's baby at 3days) which will be 8 weeks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thyra View Post
That would be my thought. I want to skip the eye-goop too, but at the same time I'm scared too. Not b/c I have std's - I don't, but I'm on Medicaid, and I've heard that in NY if you're on Medicaid and turn down anything thats routinely done to the baby CPS will come after you. My midwives did say that they delay it until the baby is several hours old though which I guess is nice. And, at the birthing center that I'm going to they don't give the initial Hep B vaccine, so I'm escaping that just by getting lucky I guess - and the ped I chose won't do it until the first well baby visit (after he see's baby at 3days) which will be 8 weeks!
can you sign a waiver?? I'm on medicaid in VT and I hadn't hear anything about anyone coming after me, but my ped did say it would be a good idea to sign a waiver saying i was declining medical advice or whatever.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
My DH (an ophthalmology resident) recommends the eye ointment because there are various bacteria during the birth process that the eyes are exposed to...not just STDs...but he respects waiting a few hours so that mom and baby can bond with eye contact etc.

I have heard of Medicaid not paying out if something is declined AMA (against medical advice)....I've also heard of insurance companies denying entire claims for it too.....of course I've heard many people don't have problems with it either. I think all you can do is try to get as much info as possible about your insurance/Medicaid provider and get as much info as you can about your medical options and fight the battles you feel strongest about.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MicheleVet View Post
My DH (an ophthalmology resident) recommends the eye ointment because there are various bacteria during the birth process that the eyes are exposed to...not just STDs...but he respects waiting a few hours so that mom and baby can bond with eye contact etc.

thanks for that medical opinion! I wondered if it protected againt other eye issues too, but hadn't been able to really get a good answer from anyone. All they kept throwing at me was the std thing. Thanks!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
It is mostly for the STD's. However if the baby gets blood or poop in its eye, it can cause an eye infection. If you don't want to use the erthromyacin (which is an antibiotic), you can choose to just squirt breastmilk in the baby's eye.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I'm going to skip it. They tested me for everything with every pregnancy anyway. DS got it and by the time I saw him (c-section) it was rubbed in. With DD, I wiped it off when they handed her back to me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,266 Posts
Not in your ddc, but I just wanted to say that with my second baby, I elected to skip the eye goop. I knew I didn't have STDs and didn't see the point. I indicated that I wanted to skip it on my birth plan and no one gave me any hassles, although a couple of nurses commented that they'd never known anyone not to get it.

Now, as it happened, my baby's eyes were kind of goopy on their own from the get-go. This made one nurse wonder if maybe I should get their eye goop, after all. However, when the pediatrician came by to look at him, she advised me to just squirt a little breast milk in his eyes. Which did take care of it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
We didn't do it with my dd and dont' plan on it with this one. I had a c-section with my first and that was even more reason not to do it.. she didn't even come out of the birth canal!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts
I skipped the eye goop last time and will again this time too. I don't have an STD and so my baby doesn't need it. If the baby starts to get an infection, I'll treat then.

I really do think that this intervention had a role back when we didn't have good testing for STD's. At that point, they did see babies become blind from the infections.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,840 Posts
In Ontario,I don't know about the rest of Canada,we have to get the eyegoop..the midwives haveto give it to lil one even if they don't agree...but lucky for us it seems to be the only thing that is manditory...then they give you the option of vit k shot and all the heel prick tests
 

· Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Skipped/Skipping it here too (been tested), though it is one of those things I would "give" on if I sensed real tension at the hosp. - people in Mich have been know to have CPS called on them for this one, and I wouldn't risk that hassle. Some providers are calm about it and some can really freak out (as they are held resposible by the state for the child to recieve it).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
It is mostly for the STD's. However if the baby gets blood or poop in its eye, it can cause an eye infection. If you don't want to use the erthromyacin (which is an antibiotic), you can choose to just squirt breastmilk in the baby's eye.
:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,827 Posts
Wtih DS I was not well informed of anything really and didn't know they did it.

This time around I know why they do it and I am not at risk so we will skip the eye ointment-erythromycin. Vit K? I'm leaning towards getting it after we assess DD's condition and go the oral route, you can't always *SEE* internal hemorrhaging.

There should be a waiver for you to sign stating that you undestand WHAT you are declining and what the risks could be. If you can decline vacines I don't see why you can't decline an antibiotic ointment.

I like this site.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
We'll hopefully be at home and will skip it. If I end up with a hospital transfer, I would prefer to avoid it, but would consider giving in if - as a PP said - it caused any serious tension. I would insist on delaying it, however, to allow for initial bonding - I don't want the baby unable to see us from the get-go because of goop in his/her eyes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
We will do it, after several hours. It's not just chlamydia or STDs but other run of the mill bacterial infections. In the developing world, not doing the antibiotics are actually the leading cause of childhood blindness, and everything gets quite stretched and pulled in the eye region when the baby is coming down the birth canal.

It's not that high-risk, and as long as you have some time to breastfeed and bond, I don't really see where it's that big of a deal, at least to me. I view it as a low-risk measure that can prevent a high-risk (albeit rare in our country) complication. Of all the things I am worried about causing unecessary complications, a little topical erythromyacin is not among them
 

· Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
In Ontario,I don't know about the rest of Canada,we have to get the eyegoop..the midwives haveto give it to lil one even if they don't agree...but lucky for us it seems to be the only thing that is manditory...then they give you the option of vit k shot and all the heel prick tests
Here in TX, it is technically required by law. But such as with vaccines, you have the right to refuse.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
We gave it last time because we'd had a hospital transfer, and as our mw put it, hospitals are nasty germy places. (Later baby and I both got MRSA, so yeah.)

If we stay home this time we won't do it; in the event of a transfer I would.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top