Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eye was injured last night when my 2 yr old's hand was flying around and ended up in my eye. I think his nail scratched it. I went to the eye Dr. today, and she wanted to give me oral antibiotics, but I said "NO WAY." She then gave me a prescription for topical "erythromycin" -a gel that I put in my eye. It's still an antibiotic, but she says it should be safe. I'm wondering if I put some breast milk in my eye several times a day, would that work? I have one autistic child, and I'm really really trying to do things right this pregnancy. I don't want any medicines. Not even tylenol if I can help it. I'm even on a wheat/dairy/dye free diet (gluten/casein to be more specific.)

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not a doctor or anything, but if it were me, I would try breastmilk first. I've used it for cuts on DS (minor and more major), eye infections, and lots of other small things. It really does work wonders. It can't hurt to give it a try.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Wow, I'd never even heard of that before... the things you learn on MDC...

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can try bm first, but a scratch can get infected and cause severe vision problems, so it's not something I would mess around with, personally. A corneal scratch should heal pretty quickly, but will heal a lot faster with the ointment. Not sure if you saw an MD(family pract) or an OD, but with any eye injury, a doctor who specializes in the eyes will always put you on the littlest amount of medication for the quickest recovery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.