Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to order 196 jars of Earth's Best baby food from my co-op when I found this article:

http://cspi.cc/reports/cheat1.html

Shoot, I guess I'll have to get off my lazy bum and make my own babyfood. Any one have a good recipe or cook book suggestion? PM me with it.

My little guy is almost 7 months and eating me out of house and home - just started on baby food less than 4 weeks ago. He hardly even wants to nurse anymore!

THanks!
Tracy

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Where's the problem with Earth's Best here? This article seems concerned with "fillers" ie tapioca or flour, or say, buying peas and rice instead of plain peas. If you're concerned about fillers check the label. Many of their foods, ie sweet potatoes = sweet potatoes + water.

They specifically say

Quote:
When choosing dinners, buy products with little or no added thickeners, such as Beech-Nut's second-stage dinners or any of Growing Healthy's dinners. Also, Gerber and Heinz' new meat-vegetable and meat-fruit combinations do not contain fillers and are more nutritious than their regular dinners. If you want organic food, choose Earth's Best
Or did I miss something in this article?

I think I've read other criticisms of EB, can't remember what, but this article just seems to concern fillers, which are easy to avoid if you read the label.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
I had a really good cookbook for baby's food,k but I only used it for like a week. Just steam anything and mash it with a fork or puree if your baby likes it smoother. You can add bm or the water from steaming to thin it out if necessary. Although I quickly started mashing our food with a fork and giing it to dd.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I love the super baby food book except her quantities are really off. She recommends solids 3 times a day with 2 snacks for a 8 month old baby.
:

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The article makes it sound like you are really paying a big expense for a little bit of food especially considering the water and fillers that are added. THat includes Earth's Best. I guess that isn't really big news, is it?

My first baby could have cared less if she missed the second solid food feeding of the day when she was 6 to 8 months. My little guy, almost 7 months, does eat solids 3 to 4 times a day! I think they all must be different. I always try to nurse him FIRST, but more and more he refuses to nurse then scarfs down the baby food.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
we would use the beginning baby foods (earth's best, etc) and make some of our own. by the time our kids were big enough for all that "dinner" stuff they were just eating our food, or basics like avocado, etc. I think if you read the label and have the same stuff in your kitchen (we don't have any modified food starch in here...) then it is alright.

I'm a big fan of reading labels...

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
You should definitly check out www.earthsbest.com and read some of the articles they have.
: They recommend iron fortified rice cereal between the ages of 4 and six months - Thats ridiculous! Or this page on their website in particular http://www.earthsbest.com/md_corner/faqs/sleep.php where they recommend that babies sleep in cribs and go to sleep alone. I guess since they are baby food manufacturers, they are also experts on babies sleeping too???? They also recommend letting babies cry. I will never support them, no matter what.

On to some ideas for homemade baby foods. Try baking a sweet potato the way you would for yourself, and then mushing it with a fork and some BM. Or maybe homemade applesauce. Pretty much every food is "mushable" (well, green beans aren't really).

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I noticed quite a few references to formula on the Earth's Best website. I wasn't aware of those other things.

I feel sort of let down because I was reading the labels and seeing things like, "barely flour" and I thought that added nutrition. Now I am wondering if it is just a filler.

Also, my little guy is eating a TON of their rice cereal - way more than my daughter ever did. I was wondering about the iron fortification, but don't know much about it. I do know that my daughter got horribly constipated and am watching him for that problem.

I just felt like since this baby food was at my co-op and is an organic company I could totally trust them. I am so naive.

I don't think I can/will provide him with all of the variety I could with their jars though. We aren't so good at getting in our own fruits and veggies.
:

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Don't feel bad! I found this info out because I was at their site looking for coupons! I've never bought from them, only because I make most stuff at home because I am cheap! It's hard to know who to trust!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least sweet potatoes are one thing we do like to eat at home already, and of course is one of his favorite baby foods. We get organic ones. I could easily steam and mash that for him. I guess I could do it for a lot of veggies.

What about fruits? How do you make apple and pear sauce?

~Tracy

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Definitely try Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. I went from totally clueless to making ALL of my kids babyfood easily & quickly.
My mom got us a pressure cooker which helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I love the book First Meals by Annabel Karmel. Everything I've made out of there dd loves and many are recipies that we use for the whole family. It's geared toward kids from when they start solids-age 7 and there's good ideas for picnic and school lunches.

I liked Super Baby Food pretty well but dd didn't take to many of the recipies in there.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
With DD, I pretty much skipped baby food altogether. I just cut up or mushed up whatever we were having for dinner. I used the food net a bunch (for melons, steak, whatever).

With DS#1 had had carefullly followed the guidelines of rice cereal first, then carefully introducing single veggies several days apart. Hehehe - Can't decide if third baby is neglected or lucky that she got to go straight to things like lasagna instead.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I definitely recommend Super Baby Food. It's a bit wordy and could be condensed and improved in terms of layout IMO but it's a great reference book. I would equate her (Ruth Yaron) as the Martha of baby food. That book was my bible with my dd and will be with my ds who's just 5 months old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our local LLL leader doesn't feed her babies until age 1 (only BF) and said her babies LOVE LOVE LOVE a mix of avocados and cooked/mushed pears all mushed together and then frozen. Sounds weird but her babes
it!

About Earth's Best. I was naive as well. In my doula business I try to promote only things I agree with or would do (not that I'm judging people's choice, if you want to formula feed, that's fine, but I don't include formula samples in my goodie bags) and Earth's Best sent me some samples of baby cereal. I referred all my moms to their site for info AND handed out nutritional pamphlets (without really perusing them first) because I thought since the were an all natural/organic company our ideas would jive. Not the case. There was so much bs in there (according to me
) and I'm embarrassed to have passed it on to my mamas

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
This is the way I make applesauce: I quarter the apples and then cook them in water until they are soft, then I mash them through a food mill (the kind that has a wooden pestle) and voila! same with pears!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts