Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been struggling with ezcema and dry skin for several months. In the past few days it has gotten so much worse and I don't know what to do about it! I have limited baths and used little or no soap. We are very selective about the types of soaps and lotions we use. Right now I use either Weleda or Burts Bees. She didn't have a problem with these before so I don't think she is having a reaction. We only use Seventh Generation laundry detergent without fragrance. Could it be the cold weather and using the furnace so much? Our house is pretty dry. She is getting only breastmilk. About half from me and half from the wonderful mothers who have donated to us through milkshare. So there is no way of knowing what is in their diet that could be bothering her.

The pediatrician prescribed a steroid cream but I would like to avoid using it as much as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to get rid of it before it gets too bad!!!

· Registered
651 Posts
I used the hydrocortisone cream and Aquaphor for a couple of days. Then I did something a little strange, I put fish oil from a capsule on his feet at night with socks over it. Yes, he had stinky fish feet for a while. I read somewhere on the end of the internet that some woman had done this and it cleared her baby's excema, and at the time it made sense. I also take the fish oil myself and flax oil for both of us and he has no rashes now. This has kept it from returning for 3 months now.

· Registered
49 Posts
I am prone to eczema, and have found that evening primrose oil taken orally has helped, as well as taking a good probiotic. Also, for my little one, I only bathe her about once a week/every 10 days, and then I coat her with almond oil.....hope that helps!

· Registered
28 Posts
I continue to try and work on the root causes (diet, etc.) but lately Eucerin applied to the trouble spots several times daily has been keeping it at bay. GOOD LUCK and keep those little nails short and for some immediate relief cold compresses seem to help

· Registered
350 Posts
When we are having a big, angry flare-up, we use the cortisone cream for a few days. I learned my lesson about being stubborn about that- DS was miserable for WEEKS while I tried everything "natural"- and found nothing that worked

Once the flare-up is under control we: DO bath every day (his favourite thing ever) but only use soap about once a week. Use evening primrose oil on the affected areas covered by a THICK layer of Mustela cream- fragrance & chemical free-, we keep his nails short, make sure he isn't getting over-heated, and have also cut gluten and dairy out of his and my diet. We use special hypo-allergenic washing powder and make sure all of his clothes are light 100% cotton and try keep him off the grass and out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.