Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions to help treat my 19 month old son's eczema on his scalp! I'll give background below, but if you don't want to read all of it, please give me tips for what you would do to try to help his little scalp stop pealing and flaking! Should I apply some kind of creams or lotions? He's never had this before at all, and I could not find much on the internet about this happening to a toddler.<br><br><br>
Background:<br>
We have no known food sensitivities or allergies in our family. My son and I ate dairy up until about 5 weeks ago when I started an experiment of cutting out dairy from my diet and my son's diet. The reason I did this is that we've been doing Elimination Communication with him and he tended to pee frequently, be somewhat irregular at signaling, and somewhat agitated by the suggestion of using a potty. When he reached 18 months, I decided that perhaps there was a chance that he was sensitive to dairy and it could be causing him difficulty with pottying.<br><br>
The day BEFORE we cut out dairy, his pottying willingness improved drastically. I continued to have some slip ups over the next week where I would eat something without thinking etc. His pottying has been great since that first day, which could just be because we became more insistent, or could be because of the dairy. It's weird that is happened the day BEFORE...<br><br>
After about three solid weeks of being completely dairy-free (since I nurse), it was my birthday weekend and I ate cheesecake. I also ate some other foods which probably had dairy, such as baked goods and some chocolate. I was excited to find that his pottying did not change. Then a few days later, I noticed he had eczema on his head! He's never had this before.<br><br>
I have always had a dry scalp, so my first thought was that it might be that the weather had gotten colder and we were using the space heater in our bedroom at night which dries the air out. We started using the humidifier in hopes it would help. Another thought was that we spent a lot of time outside on my birthday weekend and I did not put a hat on him (his preference). The eczema is only on the top of his head. He has very fair skin and super fine, white-blond wisps of hair. He looks almost bald from a slight distance. So, I wondered if he could have gotten sunburned and I didn't notice until it started pealing. Another thing I considered is that he wanted to use our shampoo on him and so we've been using suave shampoo on him daily now for a few weeks. Just in case, I stopped that and started just washing his hair twice a week with baby shampoo instead.<br><br>
For the last two weeks, I've continued to eat small amounts of dairy. I might eat some little bit of dairy every day or every other day. My son is still completely off dairy. But, he still is having some scaliness and even slightly scabby looking flaking on the top of his head. Is this likely the dairy? I'm skeptical because he never had such a severe effect from it before, and he used to eat yogurt, cheese, and cream cheese every day.<br><br>
If it is not dairy, then how do I figure out what it is? I don't think we've given him any new foods in the last two weeks. Is there anything else it could be other than a food allergy? What should I do to try to remedy it?<br><br>
If you've made it this far, THANKS! I really hope someone on here has some suggestions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Could be the dairy, could be another allergy. I'd take him to a naturopath to narrow it down. Has it been diagnosed as eczema? Have you thought about it possibly being psoriasis? The reason I say that is that my friend and I both have psoriasis (hers more severe) and we experience the peeling and bleeding. My son has eczema and he gets more rashy, itchy, scratches and then bleeds...not really peeling. Just a thought. Sorry I don't have many suggestions...good luck!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
If it didn't happen until you put dairy back into your diet, after you'd been off it for a little while, then I would definitely consider that it could be dairy. Go without dairy for another 2 weeks and check. It's free and easy. Many times if you take a food out for a couple weeks and then put it back in, their reaction gets worse. So it is possible. Of course it's possible it's something else (like a reaction the shampoo you mentioned, but if that's the case, it'll go away now that you've stopped using the other shampoo).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will cut dairy back out completely and definitely stop using the suave shampoo on his hair. I'm also trying not to wash it as frequently. We used to wash his hair every day, but now we're just doing it once or twice a week.<br><br>
But I'm also wondering if I should be putting any treatment on it such as lotion or cream. Any suggestions?<br><br>
It is not diagnosed as eczema. It could easily be psoriasis. I have not taken him into the doctor, because honestly, I don't put much stock in them knowing anything more than I do. This is a doctor's office that told me not to breast feed if he is sick because he should only have clear fluids! I have no idea how to go about finding a naturopath...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not red or bleeding. He doesn't ever scratch it or act like it is bothering him. It's just flakey, and only on the very top of his head near the back, not near his forehead. I googled images of both eczema and psoriasis, and I guess I would say it is a very mild case in comparison to the images that come up. His just looks like very dry skin that is cracked and flaking off. There is a very very slight scabbiness in a few places, but not red, just beige in color. Though it looks mild in some ways, I would still like to do whatever I can to get rid of it as quickly as possible and to ensure that it does not get worse.<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Is it more like cradle cap? If it is, then I think biotin is usually recommended... But my kids do get it as a reaction. I call them the "scalies". They don't itch. They just kind of flake off -- yellowish brownish, in patches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts