Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever diaper change I have to pry Tamsyn's hands away from her diaper area! She scratches and scratches.<br><br>
What, if anything, is safe to use down there? Hydrocortisone didn't seem to help (actually she got really upset afterwards, burning?). I have a steroid cream and dermasmoothe oil but I'm afraid to use them down there.<br><br>
I'm going to call her allergist tomorrow but was curious what, if anything, has worked, and if anyone else has this problem?<br><br>
Also, I have NO idea how to potty train without going naked... I guess we can go straight to panties but I'm afraid she'd pull them up/down/sideways to get in to scratch.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Is it yeast?<br><br>
I have also heard this be b/c of food chemical intolerance (salicylates, amines, oxalates)

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I'm inclined toward Jane's second hypothesis.<br><br>
Our son has nights where he TEARS at his scrotum and penis. It was FINE during the day, after his bath...not until nighttime (maybe after he's urinated in his diaper) does it bother him. We ask him if he wants a hot or a cold cloth, wash with only water on the cloth.We coat his genitals with Caldescene powder to keep the urine away from his flesh and rediaper (or leave him free, if it's close to morning and he's definitely urinated recently).<br><br>
If it were yeast, I would think the itching would be more on-going. Does your DD's itching come and go, or is it constant?<br><br>
We sometimes use hydrocortisone; it doesn't seem to make a difference. Sometimes, Benedryl reduces the reaction, but that may be because it allows him to sleep. (We don't give Benedryl for scrotum-itching, but if he's been scratching his hands and it's kept him awake for over an hour, we dose with Benedryl). One thought, though, is that hydrocortisone might make yeast worse? (Not sure about that, but I seem to recall that conversation with our family doc when we were trying to fight tinea versicolor and eczema at the same time.)<br><br><br>
ETA: JUst curious, who is your DD's allergist and do you like him/her?

·
Registered
324 Posts
My son has a crease of eczema on his penis, and he "tears" at it also. He doesn't seem to hurt himself, but it makes my husband cringe. My doctor said to leave it alone, but I do put Vaseline on it occasionally when it looks red and sore. It seems to relieve the desire to grab it so it can get a chance to heal up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am not a doctor, but have had excema my whole life. Finally, when I was in college the doc prescribed a steriod cream.(docs the rest of my life didn't know wth it was cause it was so bad) Anyway, I've had it about everywhere! I don't know how close to 'everything' it is, but I get it on my bikini line and in my ears both of which I use the cream on. HTH's, but ask your doc anyways!<br><br>
good luck!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
nak<br><br>
allergy to disposable dipes? (my ds2 couldn't wear them)<br><br>
if you use cloth dipes, could the laundry soap be the cause? ds2 gets rashes even with some all natural body products.<br><br>
also, from personal experience, yeast infections can itch way more at night.<br><br>
hope you guys get it figured out and your lo gets some relief soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts