Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've decided to try out sewing my own diapers and have looked at fabric suggestions but I have some questions.

I have the DD pocket fitted pattern and wanted to use cotten sherpa/outer and microfleece inner but can't find either at Joann's or Hancock's. I need my fabric before Saturday because my mom will be in town to help me figure out how to sew the diapers.

So, what materials should I use? Hancock's had something called velour terry which was 100% cotton that seemed nice but I'm not sure if it should be the inside or outside of the dipe. I've heard about alpine fleece at Joann's but don't know if it would be good for the pocket. Any suggestions?????

Thanks a bunch. I did see that joann's was having a sale online with the microfleece and I plan to order that but I need something in the meantime.

TIA
Chandi

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The terry velour could be nice for the outside layer, but sew it with care. I've heard horror stories about it pulling out of the seams and ruining the diaper.

You could use a couple of layers of cotton interlock for the body layers, both Hancock and JoAnn sell cotton knit interlock, and they might even have a cute print. JoAnn also sells a stretch knit terry, I keep finding bolts of it in clearance which I believe is 50% off right now. Another choice is cotton knit french terry, it is found at JoAnn near the other interlock knits. I've only found it at the big super stores though.

JoAnn also has microfleece in the store, it might be by the flannels rather than the rest of the fleece. Another lining choice is velour, it is a 80/20 blend that feels dry but is still absorbant. A layer of velour on the outside and inside with a layer of something else in the middle would be a super soft and cuddly diaper.

The other choice would be flannel. Flannel is great for diapers, very absorbant, but not my favorite. I like all knits because the stretchy fabric fits better and longer in my experience. But if you like non-stretchy diapers, go for it. I think the DD pocket fitted might be written for knits though. Adding a bit of length to the wings might be a good idea if that is the case.

Good luck, have fun. How cool to sew diapers with your mom!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.