Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems the most reasonable place to ask this.

I've been feeling guilty about how many kleenex we use ... when I am sick, my nose runs like a faucet and the same is true for both dd's.

My nose is also very sensitive, and even with Puffs with lotion, it gets irritated. I usually end up coating it with Carmex while sick, too.

Does anyone here use handkerchiefs, and if so - do you also have a very sensitive nose, how do they work for you, etc.?

Looking for any thoughts/advice on how this has worked for you.
:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
People in India use handkerchiefs, and while I was there, I used some.

Personally, I find that the handkerchief either stays wet or if it dries, you reactivate the wet snot already in it with your new snot. It just schmears the snot around on your face. I don't like them, and I'd rather use Puffs/Kleenex anyday.

If you toss your tissues properly and wash your hands, I think you spread less germs too than the handkerchief method. Just my opinion, heh.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I cut up an old pair of flannel jammie pants to use as snot rags. I made the squares small enough for one use, to avoid the snot-smearing described above, and they are really soft since the jammies were worn till the waist wore out.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I have a bunch of vintage handkerchiefs to use and wash each after one use. I can't stand the idea of re-using a handkerchief. I grew up using handkerchiefs - my Dad still only uses handkerchiefs and my folks don't keep Kleenex in their house.

I bought some old flannel sheets to use in the winter as that's when we tend to get the colds that won't stop.
: I have a very sensitive nose and am easily irritated as well. This will be my first winter without Kleenex so I can't really say how my nose will hold up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
try some soft thick cotton flannel, ripped into 8" squares. I shreded a well loved flannel sheet into 50 napkins, but finding that they work well for lots of other uses.

you don't have to keep using the same one. a one snot shot deal.
:

love and light,
Bryanna

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Cotton knit makes great hankies. It's soft and doesn't ravel at the edges like flannel. Cut up some old T-shirts into 8-inch squares. During a major runny nose, you'll probably want to use each one once and drop them into a wetbag. Wash in hot water with a shot of vinegar if you have enough hankies for a full load, or soak in hot water with oxygen bleach before washing along with your regular laundry. Cold water will not get all the slime off, in addition to not killing germs.

I also have some flannel hankies, and with those I have had the opposite experience from Spastica: They dry, even folded up in my pocket, and once dry they will absorb again, up to the point that literally the whole thing is stiff and stuck together.
If I have to go out somewhere with a runny nose, I wear an outfit with lots of pockets and fill them all with hankies and rotate them so that the one in my right front pocket is the one ready for the next nose-blowing. I can use a hanky a few times in a row by folding it in fourths and putting my nose between layers, aimed at the folded corner. When I DON'T have a cold, just slight drippiness due to cold weather or allergies, one hanky lasts all day using this technique.

Honestly, for a major runny nose, around the house I just use a flat cloth diaper!

My best tip for avoiding peely nose has nothing to do with what you blow it into. After blowing thoroughly so that your nose is empty for the moment, wash the area with warm water, pat dry, then dip your finger into olive oil (a little puddle in a saucer) and rub it into your skin. Do this every 2-3 hours, starting when you first realize you have a major runny nose--don't wait until it starts hurting!

I wouldn't use Carmex; it's actually very irritating. See the lip balm thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.