Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some encouragement here as it has been a really bad week. The freezer broke. The washer broke. I now I just found out I failed the 1 hr GTT. The nurse said that the cut off is 130 and I was 132.
: So, am I doomed to fail the 3 hr? I didn't fast for the 1 hr and the nurse said that I didn't have to. With my last pregnancy I fasted and passed, did that make the difference? I am going to start crying I am so upset. To top it off I just picked up my mom from the airport and she is visiting until Monday afternoon and I have to get the test done asap, so I am doing it Monday morning. So I am going to miss time with her.

Thanks for any input.

Beth

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
sorry things are so rough right now.

I failed my 1 hour as well ( I'm pretty sure I was in the 140's but I'd have to look it up ) but after sitting through the 3 hour ( got some reading done so it wasn't a complete loss
) my numbers all came back fine. Also a lot of women in my due date group on a more mainstream board are failing the 1 hour but passing the 3 hour with flying colors .

I'm pretty sure that my 1 hour fail was due to not fasting before the test. . . but some people will tell you that is irrelevant.

Hopefully the test will go smoothly and you'll get to enjoy your mother's visit.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I failed the 1-hour with ds#1, without fasting; then passed the 3-hour.
I passed the 1-hour with ds#2 WITH fasting (even though they told me I could eat).
I failed the 1-hour yesterday WITH fasting. I'm pretty confident that I'll pass the 3-hour this time around as well. I think that I just have a weird tolerance for sugar and don't do well with these types of tests.

I'm sorry you're feeling so down about everything now, though. Hopefully, you'll pass the 3-hour and never look back!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Myr and Shannon,

Your posts have really helped me. This is the sort of anecdotal evidence I needed to hear. I guess only 2 pts over isn't bad and I do wonder about the fasting before thing. Also, I drank about 16oz of water during the test. Once I drank that much I thought maybe I shouldn't be. The lab tech said I shouldn't but a little isn't bad. Well, 16oz isn't a little, but I am not sure how water would make a difference. I was just trying to keep myself from vomitting. Thanks again for your posts. Maybe I can relax about it now.

Beth

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I've failed the 1-hour two times, and passed the 3-hour both times. I cant remember if the one-hour was fasting or not. One thing you're *not* supposed to do (according to the internet) is be active while waiting for the blood draw - it helps you metabolize the sugar faster. So, the 2nd time I had the three hour, I made sure I walked around *a lot* (the lab never said not to
). If they don't say anything to you about it, and it's possible, i'd try and walk the hallways or something, might give you a little help!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I failed the 1 hr w/ dd--I think I had the same numbers as you! so I requested to retest, since these things are so very subjective. I did, and instead of sitting down during it, I went to the grocery store and walked for an hour! My test was much better that time. Totally normal. So go request that you retest the 1 hr . And whatever test you end up taking, just stay mobile!!! They can't chain you to the chair or watch you the whole time. They won't notice you're gone, and you'll have a more accurate reading. The test is to see how your body processes sugar, and it processes it a lot better when you're moving around!

Good luck! The GTT can be so stressful. After last time, there's no way I'm ever doing it again. It's a total crock.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering about moving around. I have one question, will it make the test inaccurate if I do? As much as I want to pass, I also want to be correctly diagnosed so that my baby is healthy. It seems weird to me that they try and diagnose this by making women do something that is *so* unhealthy. I would never drink a sugar soda (or any soda for that matter) even if I wasn't pg. I took it Wed morning and my body still doesn't seem right. The baby hasn't rested much since the test. I don't know if that is a bad sign or not. I mean, baby's movement was normal before the test, and now it seems that *every* time I sit down the baby is moving alot and I am even feeling the baby move alot while I am moving. I have been on my feet cleaning and shopping alot since Wed, so I would think that the baby would be rocked to sleep. Anyway, I would like to hear if anyone else's baby seemed to be affected by the test? I know it could just be normal, as the week before the baby moved much less for several days. Right now, anything different is freaking me out

Thanks for all of the input. Your responses definitely helped me to sleep last night

Beth

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
try to request a retest of the 1 hr, the results can be very unreproduceable, there is a good chance you won't fail again. make sure you are in a warm place (don't walk outside in the cold, walk in the mall) and ask if you can drink/eat something similar to your diet w/ the same grams of glucose (oj, toast w/ jam, something like that). 2 pts is a very small margin, if you have no other risk factors for diabetes, make sure you bring that up when you ask for the retest. and do it asap, the heavier you are (prego weights) the higher your chances of failing.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Therese's Mommy View Post
I was wondering about moving around. I have one question, will it make the test inaccurate if I do? As much as I want to pass, I also want to be correctly diagnosed so that my baby is healthy.
Do you have any concerns that make you think you might have GD? Like family history of diabetes, or history of large babies, or overweight? For me, I'm thin, no family history of diabetes, and my biggest baby was 6# 12 oz. I'm going to refuse the GTT this time (especially since i don't pass the 1 hour).
Are you normally active? If so, I wouldn't think moving around would make the test inaccurate. My friend was diagnosed with GD. They put her on a sugar-restricted diet (including fruit). But if she walked more than a mile (I think it was a mile) then she could eat whatever she wanted that day.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
Do you have any concerns that make you think you might have GD? Like family history of diabetes, or history of large babies, or overweight? For me, I'm thin, no family history of diabetes, and my biggest baby was 6# 12 oz. I'm going to refuse the GTT this time (especially since i don't pass the 1 hour).
Are you normally active? If so, I wouldn't think moving around would make the test inaccurate. My friend was diagnosed with GD. They put her on a sugar-restricted diet (including fruit). But if she walked more than a mile (I think it was a mile) then she could eat whatever she wanted that day.
My grandma had type II diabetes. I have only had one child and she was 7#12oz. I am not particularly thin. Before the baby was born I was between an 8 and a 10. As far as being active, I walked about 4-5 times a week for the first half of my pregnancy, but sicknesses and weather have prevented me from getting out for about 2 months or so. I tried to go out for a walk the other day and stepped off my steps onto the road and promptly fell
When there is snow or ice my neighborhood is very walking unfriendly as it is hilly with uneven sidewalks. Dh walks to work and fell flat on his back the other day. I wanted to get back to walking but today we are getting 10-14 inches of snow
I really wish that I had started swimming or something like that at the start of my pregnancy. I am so out of shape that I am not sure it would be good to start now. I am not completely lazy though as I have a 2yo. Would it be a bad idea to take up swimming now? I have never been a swimmer, I mean, I am a strong swimmer, but I have never done it for fitness.

Beth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.