Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to create a pie shape space in my yard for cut flowers, and maybe some veggies. The area is now covered with weeds. I don't want to use any chemicals in the process. I've heard you can cover the area with 2-3 inches of compost and wait (how long?) and plant right into the area with out interrupting the soil too much. Is this true? Would I have to pull up all the weeds first? How long would I have to wait before planting? I've also heard you can put newspapers down first and then cover it up with mulch/compost. DH thinks we need to dug up all the weeds first, but I thought that would disturb all the seeds in the soil already. We get pretty mild winters here (low 40s). A friend said we should plant some clover to ammend the soil in the fall so we'll be ready for planting in spring. What else can I plant to ammend the soil? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you're right on the money. first mow the area down to the ground as closely as poss. then cover with a thickness of 4 sheets of newspaper, then cover with 1-2 "mulch or compost. when its time to plant you just dig through the compost and paper as big a hole as needed for the plant. this way you are minimizing soil disturbance which stimulates the growth of weeds. i learned this method from a book called Weedless Gardening" by Lee Reich. its been really amazing to see the transformation in my so called gardening skills now that my space is not overrun with weeds if i neglect it for a little bit. good luck, this method is EASY and made gardening much more fun for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I also use the "old newspaper trick" as learned from Cassandra Danz (aka Mrs. Greenthumbs). Works like a charm. It's also great for creating large beds that one would never attempt if one had to dig them up by hand. Using the newspaper is even better than rottotilling!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you... I'll give the newspaper / mulch a try then. Do I have to wait till Spring to plant? i.e. how long to have have to let the newspaper / mulch on before I start planting?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts