Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking with my SIL about sleep, naps, falling asleep, etc. and the great push to get babies to sleep and fall asleep "independently." And I was thinking that I don't know any babies who you can just put down and they will fall asleep without some sort of suckling comfort, pacifier or breast. But I don't know that many babies to begin with...so, does anyone have a small baby that will do this? The only ones I knew of were made to cry and just gave up.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
With all 3 of mine, by about 2 months they would nurse, fall asleep, then as I laid them down, would wake up, but be groggy, and all 3 would put themselves to sleep.
I have NEVER let them CIO, either.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
DD has been doing something like this once in a while lately....She will nurse for a few minutes, then push me away, then roll around/crawl for a while, then plop down and zzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
570 Posts
My first was one who had to nurse to sleep. I am finding though that my second does better if I just lay him down. Sometimes I rub his back gently, other times I just sit with him while he goes to sleep on his own. He does fuss some, but he screams and cries much more if I try and hold him or nurse him when he is tired. I never would have believed it, but it is just his style. He has never CIO or been made to go to sleep on his own, it is just what he prefers. Each child has there own way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
for the first several months, i had to nurse her completely to sleep, and then if she woke up when i moved her to the bed, i would have to do it allllllll over again
:

but now.....she is just at five months, this week she has nursed down to almost sleep and then either she pulls away or i pull away, and then she rolls around a bit and then, like magic, she's asleeeeeeeeeeeeep! it's like i have a different baby!!! yahooooooo!

so this all just happened naturally, no forcing, no cio...(even though i felt like doing it a few times, my heart wouldn't let me do it)

so, as much as this is great now.....i know babies are all about changing, so, i guess i'll see what happens next!!

follow your heart......you'll never go wrong!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
For the first three months, my wee one would nurse to sleep. Then, boom, it stopped working. No matter what I did at bedtime, keep him on me for an hour after nursing, transfer him immediately, 20 minutes, etc., he would wake up and WAIL. (He sleeps in an Amby Hammock for reflux.)

(BTW - he hates pacifiers, we tried so many kinds)

I was pretty miserable, so was he, we would spend 3 hours at night getting him to fall asleep, rocking, walking, slinging, bouncing, nursing over and over, he eventually would just fall asleep crying in DH's lap.

Finally I decided that I would not nurse to sleep, because it was obviously not working and I was tired of crying about it. So, I nursed earlier, then played, read a book, sang a song and we put him down. Nothing could have prepared me for what happened. He fell asleep after some rocking in the hammock. A little fussing, but within 10 minutes, sometimes 20, he was out. One night, we were dead exhausted and put him in the hammock and flopped down on the futon, no rocking. No fussing at all. Gurgling, cooing and then sleep. This has now been the way it is for 3 weeks. We lay down on the futon, he can't see us, but every now and then we sing to him if he seems to need it, which is rarely. I never believed it would be this way.

Believe me, I loved nursing to sleep, it just wasn't working anymore. My chiropractor and my midwife suggested seeing if he would do it on his own. I was so afraid he would wail.

I think he was overstimulated by us walking with him, rocking and bouncing him. He just needs to relax comfortably, I guess. We'll see how long it lasts before we need to try something different!

Oh, during the night though, I still nurse him to sleep when he wakes up. Sometimes he falls asleep on me, sometimes not, but he always goes back to sleep when I lay him down during the night.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:
DD has been doing something like this once in a while lately....She will nurse for a few minutes, then push me away, then roll around/crawl for a while, then plop down and zzzzzzzzzzz
My DD used to do this too when she was tiny. It usually happened when DH, DD and I all went to bed at the same time. On those nights when she would do it, it REALLY helped to cut down on the night waking.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I usually gently jiggle my 9 month old dd to sleep. But sometimes she wants to be put down, and then she flops around for a few minutes trying to get comfy, then goes to sleep. Even if I put her down already sleeping she wakes and flops around to get comfy.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My 8 mo still nurses to sleep 80% of the time. The other 20%, she falls asleep in the sling/backpack/stroller. Only once has she fallen asleep "on her own" - and then she was just sleepy after nursing and fell asleep on my lap. But she was almost there anyway.

If I try to just lie down with her on the bed she gets up and starts crawling around. She doesn't have a crib that fits her at the moment, but knowing her, I think she wouldn't just lie down, no matter how tired she was.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
our almost 9 month old dd nurses to sleep 99% of the time. on a handful on instances, she's fallen asleep 'on her own'. once was last week, i usually nurse her down on a bright pink blanket in the middle of the living room. she was happily playing then crawled over to the blankie by herself, lay down and started to sing her little sleepy song. 2 minutes later, she was out.

anyways, it's not a goal that we're aspiring to. i absolutely love nursing her down and cosleeping, and i plan to continue to do that for as long as she needs to, so that she develops positive sleep associations.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huh. I guess its just SOOOO far from my reality right now that it almost seemed impossible
My friends with kids seem to have similar patterns to mine, Boob=sleep. No Boob=No Sleep. Thanks for the replies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts