Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my research on what to buy for the coming baby. We've decided that we want to sidecar a standard crib to our bed. I like this option for the nighttime convenience, plus the fact that I can buy an organic mattress for the baby.

So, what about naps? It seems dangerous to leave baby alone during the day in the bedroom in a crib that essentially has one side open. Is there a solution?

I'm not opposed to buying another crib-type-thing for the baby to nap in, but I'd like it to be organic too, which could get expensive. Hmmm... Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
We have a sidecarred crib for our little girl and love it. She's a horrible napper and will only sleep if I lay down with her so I haven't run across a problem in her napping in the sidecarred crib. There have been 1 or 2 occasions where she fell asleep and I was able to sneak out of the room but since she doesn't crawl yet I just made sure there were pillows at the edge of my bed so she couldn't fall off. Truthfully, we don't use the crib that much at all, you may find that your babe doesn't want to be far from your arms. Our little girl starts off in her crib but always ends up right next to me in my bed by the morning. You might be able to find some sort of bed railing that you could use inbetween your bed and the crib for times when you want him to nap but I don't think you'll have to worry about that until he starts really rolling or crawling.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
With my oldest, who would only ever nurse to sleep -- she slept in the sidecar and later in the bed, with bedrails and pillows on the floor in case she fell out somehow (never did and could climb down safely by 10 mo.)

With the younger two, they napped in a playpen. This had the advantage of giving us a portable sleeping place that they were used to -- we could travel with playpen to grandma's house and they'd be just fine sleeping away from home.

ETA another reason I like playpens is that when the baby *does* learn to climb out -- and eventually, they all do -- there is less of a fall than there would be from a crib. Safer. (When they have the ability to climb out, it is time for a bed, of course.)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
We have a side car and DS just naps in our bed. He has learned how to get down from the bed if needed. But most of the time he just sits up and yells so that I know he is awake.
Before he was able to do that, I held him for all of his naps.
He was a really crappy napper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.