Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
We're traveling to London, Ont. at the end of the summer to see dh's family and to see a little bit of Ontario. We'd love to go on a small canoe/camping trip with ds (maybe 3 days?) Could anyone recommend anything? We've done a few small backpacking trips with him but never canoe. I thought Ontario would be the place...<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Alexa

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you need something close to London or will you be driving through Ontario and able to stop elsewhere? Are you willing to do small portages? There isn't very much in Southwestern Ontario in terms of camping/canoeing but there is tons elswhere in the province. Let me know and I can provide some recommendations.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...I believe we'd be willing to drive a bit to get there. We'd like to see as much of Ontario as possible in the short time we have (a week.)<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
Alexa

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check out the Ontario Provicial Parks Website <a href="http://www.ontarioparks.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ontarioparks.com/</a><br><br>
You can search for various sites based on location. Algonquin Park is a big tourist attraction but very busy. All provincial parks are great and most of them have nice lakes and hikking trails. The more remote you are willing to go, the better in my opinion.<br><br>
Have a great visit!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I forgot to tell you. You will definitely want to make a reservation. I would call the park you are interested in. The park ranger can usually suggest nice sites and you can ask whatever questions you may have.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you go to a Prov. park, even a busy one, you can canoe to a back country site that will be quite private. We've never been to Algonquin, but our favourite is Grundy Lake. Killarney is also gorgeous, but maybe a little farther than you'd like to go. it would probably be a 8-hour-ish drive from London. (I'm just guessing here)<br><br>
Hope you have a great time!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
London is in the middle of farm country so there isn''t a lot of water to canoe in. The parks I have camped at in that area are more beach focussed and either up on Lake Huron or down on Lake Erie. Port Burwell on Lake Erie has gorgeous beaches, very shallow and warm and GREAT for toddlers. I've heard the same thing about Pinery on Lake Huron.<br><br>
Have great trip,<br><br>
Liz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts