Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your opinions were - Should I expand my search to include a family dentist to start my 3yo with, that we can all go to? Or should I continue to look for an acceptable (one that allows a parent in the room) pediatric dentist?

·
Registered
90 Posts
My opinion, and I have been a dental assistant for 18 yrs, is that you should find a family dentist that is really good w/ kids. I don't like pediatric dentists because they rarely let a parent in the room, which to me, is a deal breaker. Also they harness them and basically hold them down to do work. Of course I'm only speaking for the ones that I have heard about in my town. I'm sure they are not all like that. Also they run about 3x the price of a family dentist. Knowing what I know I would never take my child to a pediatric dentist. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
In my town, pediatric dentists allow full access to the exam room.<br><br>
I took my son to an adult practice. It was "OK." I mainly kept going (3 yrs) because the hygenist was SO kind, friendly and genuinely warm. The exam room was teeny, but she always made me welcome to sit there. I would not go to any dentist that wouldn't allow me in the room. The actual dentist wasn't very good w/ kids IMO, but that didn't matter to me because 1) he didn't have dental problems and 2) most of the time was spent w/ the hygenist anyway.<br><br>
I recently switched to a very modern pediatric dentrist practice (3 dentists) and it's WONDERFUL. My own dentist has an open floor plan (no closed private office, which I don't mind, just partitians) and this one reminds me of that. I do believe the level of care and attention (and education they impart on the children and the parents) is far better than where we used to go to. So I'm happy.<br><br>
Re Klockdj's post, maybe it depends on where you live. My children have never been harnessed for cleanings. We live in suburban neighborhood and there are a few pediatric dental offices. I doubt the parents around here would stand for not being allowed in the room. Is there an online parent discussion list where you live that you could find out about local offices?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I think I will call the ped dentist (where we currently have an appt made) and ask again if one of us can accompany ds. If they happen to agree, I will check to see if they harness the kids.... If we absolutely cannot accompany him, then I think I found a good family dentist who came highly recommended by a friend - it's interesting that before I even asked my friend about dentists, I had seen his ad in the phone book and it caught my attn. It includes a pic of all different ages of people - from an infant to and elderly woman, so they welcome children. My friend said that he has two children of his own and that he's very patient and kind and she thought be be great with ds.<br><br>
Oh, I hate making this decision!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts