Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ottawa mamas,<br>
Does anyone have a good family doc who is taking new patients. Our WONDERFUL doc who was very supportive of us and at least tolerant of our delayed vaxing, went on maternity leave last year and is not coming back. While we are pleased for her on a personal level, the replacement in the practice is a young non-parent who does everything by the book and is inclined to lecture us when she disagrees. She`s also much less likely to give us the prescriptions we need for psychology etc. for our benefits plan. She’s not a bad person, and I am glad we have a doc and all, but we’d really like to get a better one. Our neighbourhood community health centre, which is usually a good option, is not taking new patients and hasn`t been for ages…any ideas? We’re in Sandy Hill, but we would travel for a good one!<br>
thanks!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yeah, we've kinda been skipping the well baby visits and regular appointments for the rest of us.<br><br>
We "officially" have a doctor at the Somerset West Community Health Centre but we've yet to meet him. When we finally got called in for our first appointment after being on the waiting list for a few months, we got a pregnant doctor on a temporary assignement while they were interviewing for the full time position...<br><br>
So in the meantime, we just go to the walk-in at the U of O clinic when we have an emergency.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Malva, we have friends who go to Somerset West who don't vax. They've often seen nurse practitioners for their daughter and found it to be a very supportive, tolerant place, fwiw. So hopefully that will work well for you!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Watching this, as our AP/NFL friendly doctor is about to retire soon...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our doctor is OK, but not taking new patients, so I'm not going to recommend her. But I have heard that a good route to follow is to find a Bahai' doctor. I'm pretty sure there are lists somewhere out there of associations of Bahai' doctors. The reason that they are more accommedating(spelling?) is because that in order to enter the Bahai' faith you have to promise to follow ALL of their precepts, and they are therefore more understanding of you follow the precepts of your own religion or personal convictions. I know this because the family doctor I had growing up was Bahai' and she was the only one who didn't blink an eye when my mother came to her for her sixth pregnancy and didn't tell her that their fertility awareness method of family planning was going to fail miserably. (Which is hasn't)<br><br>
Anyhow, good luck. We live in Orleans and still travel to Kanata for our family doctor. We have never been able to find one out here, and we plan on moving back to the west end eventually anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts