Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are parents of 4.5 year old twins expecting another set of twins in July. While going over our game plan to get ready for the two new additions to our family, we realized my spouses car (Santa Fe) is too small with only 5 seats. We are in need of a different vehicle. My car is a Pacifica that has been working for our current twins.

We need another vehicle with a 3rd row and considering how many are out there, we are a bit over whelmed. We know that not all family cars are family friendly as our Grand Cherokee could not handle twin rear facing baby car seats.

We have the following concerns:

1) Trunk Space for 2 strollers - While our 4 year twins are phasing off of a strollers, the new twins will need one. Double strollers are huge and we have seen some third row SUVs with extremely small trunks that wont fit 1 double stroller and kid stuff like backpacks, baseball bats, etc.

2) 3rd row access - Our 4 year old twins still struggle to buckle their car seat belt, so we would still need to crawl into the back seat to belt them in while the new twins sit in the middle row. We have heard some vehicles are better than others on getting out. For example, when we take twins 1 to dance, we would sit in the car with twins 2, so we want to make sure twins 1 can get out while a child seat is in row two. I read some tilt seats dont tilt much with car seats in them. So is there a way to make a 60/40 bench row two just a smaller seat to hold two carriers allowing the 40% to be a hallway?? The Honda Odyssey has a slider 2nd row which seems to do it. Any suggestions here?

3) Rear Facing Seats - We loved our grand Cherokee before kids but then found it impossible to drive with rear facing twins in row two. My seat was so far forward that my chest was touching the steering wheel. Any 3rd row cars we should stay away from here?

I'd love to hear about what works for bigger families and which cars to stay away from.

Thanks
Miranda

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know a few families that have a Toyota Siena and love it. The larger SUV's seem to be restrictive to access the smaller kids in the back seat for buckling up etc so if you still need to assist them a Yukon or Suburban may not be the best options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts