Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15834072/

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. - Relatives of a missing boy's mother who killed herself after aggressive questioning by CNN's Nancy Grace sued the network and the talk-show host Tuesday, claiming Grace caused emotional distress that led to the suicide.

Melinda Duckett committed suicide Sept. 8, a day after Grace's show on CNN Headline News aired a segment in which Grace grilled Duckett about her whereabouts Aug. 27 - the day 2-year-old Trenton Duckett was reported missing.

Authorities, who said last week they believe the boy is alive, have named Melinda Duckett as the prime suspect in his disappearance.
I know nothing of this case. But I'm nervous about the idea that a newscaster can be sued for asking questions.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
That mom had a lot of problems and had threatened or attempted suicide several times before. Nancy Grace did not *suddenly* make her suicidal. She did question her aggresively on where she was when he son went missing, which I think is a fair question since the mom did come on the air with the intention of answering questions. I dont think the suit has a basis. Theres no guarantee in life that people have to be nice to you.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darsmama View Post
I have been wondering what happened to this case! I was really hoping that they had found the little guy alive and well.

I agree with you SirP
Just last week they thought he might be alive, since someone said they had seen the mom and son right before she reported him missing and they thought the mom might have sold or given away the child to spite her ex husband. But so far nothing has come of it

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
i'm torn on this one. Nancy Grace went overboard, IMO. she verbally bused that mom up one side and down the other. but i don't think the mom is totally innocent so maybe it was justified....

regardless, i don't like Nancy Grace.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I think it's scary too, I mean are we going to sue all reporters who ask questions? Uh, that's their job. And yes, Nancy went a bit overboard, but hell, there's a missing child here!

I hope and pray by some miracle that this boy is alive, it just breaks my heart. And I think the mom had lots of other issues besides Nancy Grace's interview. Maybe her family should be concentrating their efforts on finding out what happened to this little boy...

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
They did say they needed more funding for their center and website.....at least it gets the PR it needs. I have never even heard about this case before I read this thread.
I hope they find him safe and alive.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i'm torn on this one. Nancy Grace went overboard, IMO. she verbally bused that mom up one side and down the other. but i don't think the mom is totally innocent so maybe it was justified....

regardless, i don't like Nancy Grace.

Man I dislike Nacy in part because I've read her history as a lawyer and her butt wasn't that clean, with holding evidence etc, and I do think that she laid into the mother.
That said it was her choice to go on the show knowing that Nancy had it out for her

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
What exactly did the mom expect going on the Nancy Grace show = watch the show once and it is obvious that she is no Oprah. I saw the interview and the mom was fumbling simplequestions like where were you when Trenton went missing - certainly not a loaded question.

I just find her family disrespectful sueing over this before the little boy has been found.

Who really knows - such a sad sitution.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I can't stand Nancy grace...I think she uses unethical and underhanded questioning techniques. I read in my local paper that one of the main bases for this suit is that she essentially conned this woman onto her show by telling her all they were going to do is raise awareness about the missing child, not be grilled about where and what she was doing. I don't know if mom did anything wrong and neither did Nancy Grace.
Nancy Grace doesn't get to by judge and jury IMO but she sure thinks she does. I don't like the idea that a journalist can be sued for asking questions but I do like the idea that it really brings her lack of journalistic integrity to light since I believe she is a very bad example of what a journalist should look like!

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama View Post
That mom had a lot of problems and had threatened or attempted suicide several times before. Nancy Grace did not *suddenly* make her suicidal. She did question her aggresively on where she was when he son went missing, which I think is a fair question since the mom did come on the air with the intention of answering questions. I dont think the suit has a basis. Theres no guarantee in life that people have to be nice to you.
I agree.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I don't have a problem w/ calling someone out for treating another (already wounded) human being like a piece of
. The family may not win, but they have every right to call NG on being an ogre. It pisses me off to see bad behavior defended because it is your right to behave badly. Of course it is your right, but I don't see it as being defensible. A little respect, and this would have been avoided as would a whole lot of tragedies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts