Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
it's okay, but you may be a bit weaker than someone who's not nursing, just because your body will be drawing nutrients from it's own supply rather than the food you eat, kwim?

just be sure to eat some nutritious stuff once you can eat again.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
NO. I would not even risk it. Your body needs an additional 500+ calories PER DAY to sustain lactation. If this is for religious purposes, you should know that most religions allow exemptions for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. If its for other reasons like detox, you need to wait until the child has weaned.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:
Those who are expected to fast include: adults (defined as those who have reached the age of puberty) and those who are sane. Those who are not expected to fast include: children, women having their period, travelers, the sick, those with long-term illnesses, pregnant or breastfeeding women and the mentally ill.
Taken from http://www.expat.or.id/info/lebaran.html.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/r...h/fiqh62.shtml suggests feeding a poor person instead of fasting.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I've done a few accidental fasts (unless law school counts as a religion, they were not religious) and found that it affected me badly.

I used to fast fairly regularly within minimal hardship but now that I'm nursing I get *very* on edge and my moods are very volatile. Ill-effects may be magnified a bit since I pump too, but still, I find fasting much harder and spiritually counter-productive now (since it makes it nealry impossible for me to be even civil).

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about making up Ramadan fasts. I also missed mine plus some from last year that I hadn't finished before getting pregnant. Anyway, I wouldn't advise that you make them up just yet, especially if you recently gave birth. You'll get really dehydrated and may jeapordize your milk supply. Perhaps wait a bit until you are really settled into the breastfeeding and feel comfortable with giving it a try. And if you start the fast and it's too difficult to complete you can always wait a while until you try again. I'd advise that you ask around and find out from other Muslim mamas when they were able to resume fasting. My SIL for example did all the Ramadan fasts this year while EBFing her 6 month old. Everyone's different though so it's good to get a range of input.

Some scholars say that you don't have to make them up, you can just feed a poor person for each day but others say you should make them up even if it's much later. It's something to research and see which view you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone,
It is to make up Ramadan fasts. I dont really know any other BFing mamas to ask. My husband said I shouldnt do it and I was also wondering about it giving me supply problems; my son is now 7 weeks.

Poetess - For me to feed a poor person each day do you know how much that would be? (BTW congratulations I just saw that you had a baby 3 weeks after me!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I would also be really concerned about fasting while nursing a 7 week old. Your body is still also not totally recovered from birth, even though you might feel really good right now! Is there a certain time of year Ramadan fasts must be made up, or can you do them whenever you want?

Feeding the poor each day sounds like a wonderful plan... I am sure a local food bank or other similar charity would give you a pretty good idea of the cost of that. Is this another way to make up for a missed Ramadan fast?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good idea timneh_mom, thanks I will check that out. I dont believe there is another way to make them up but I have until next ramadan to do it which is around next september so I dont HAVE to do it now. I thought it probably wasnt a good idea too but thought Id see what everyones opinion was. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts