Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", and I got a little worried when I read about toddlers not getting enough fat if they're eating the "standard healthy adult diet". I really never thought about this before. My DS (almost 13 months) nurses quite a lot, at least 8 times a day, plus at night. As far as solids, he eats what I eat - lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans, but not much fat at all. Since he still nurses so much, I just assumed he got the fat he needed from my milk. He's growing well and is extraordinarily healthy, but now I'm wondering whether I should be giving him more fat. What does everyone else do? TIA!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
I'm reading "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", and I got a little worried when I read about toddlers not getting enough fat if they're eating the "standard healthy adult diet". I really never thought about this before. My DS (almost 13 months) nurses quite a lot, at least 8 times a day, plus at night. As far as solids, he eats what I eat - lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans, but not much fat at all. Since he still nurses so much, I just assumed he got the fat he needed from my milk. He's growing well and is extraordinarily healthy, but now I'm wondering whether I should be giving him more fat. What does everyone else do? TIA!

I don't know what should be done, but maybe you want to add a little flax meal to his diet (1 Tbs. is half the serving size for an adult) or some Udo's Oil to his diet daily. I see that you're vegan and hope the Udo's oil is not from animal sources at all. I don't think it is. Anyway, 1 Tbs. gives you 14 grams of the good fat we need daily.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I listen to my dd about foods. She has always liked lots of cheese and sometimes yogurt. She nurses like crazy. I figure she gets what she needs.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
If he is still nursing 8X daily, there is a very good chance that he is getting enough fat.

Many children's only fat source is milk (which is why whole cow's milk is recommended until 2) and you're providing the best.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I listen to my dd about foods. She has always liked lots of cheese and sometimes yogurt. She nurses like crazy. I figure she gets what she needs.

-Angela

I always go by my son's cues, too, but we all have our moments of doubt . . .

I'm considering going lacto-ovo, which would add more options, but I need to do some more reading before I take that step.
Flaxmeal is a great idea. I take flax oil myself.
Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasmamaof4 View Post
Avocado - chock full of healthy fats and loved by most babies!

My baby is not "most" babies. I've tried it several times but it makes him gag (although the face he makes is, admittedly, hilarious)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
To be fair, I think avocado is one of the more disgusting foods out there. It actually makes me really nauseous! DD1 loves it just plain and raw and in chunks eaten with a fork, and picky eater DD2 tolerates it as much as she likes anything else...but I understand why someone wouldn't like it. Slimy and greasy and green...eeeeccchhhhhhhhh!!!:puke

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
mmm avacado... though my toddler won't touch it anymore. He liked guacamole just fine as a baby (he wouldn't eat it plain), but as a toddler, no way...

The fats in his diet are mainly dairy, olive oil (he likes to dip his bread), and peanut butter eaten right off the spoon (thanks Grandpa...)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
To be fair, I think avocado is one of the more disgusting foods out there. It actually makes me really nauseous! DD1 loves it just plain and raw and in chunks eaten with a fork, and picky eater DD2 tolerates it as much as she likes anything else...but I understand why someone wouldn't like it. Slimy and greasy and green...eeeeccchhhhhhhhh!!!:puke

me too

·
Registered
690 Posts
My DD (14 mos and nursing 8-10 x a day) is enjoying coconut milk when we make curries, so that might be an option for you too. Also, I understand that the types of fats we consume can impact our milk, so you may want to incorporate fats into your diet as well. I am also in the process of learning about the good fats we need - especially growing children. Saturated fats in particular.

I am waiting to get this book - Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol by Mary G. Enig - through interlibrary loan.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts