Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My olive source: green olives, brine (water, salt), acidity regulator, lactic and citric acid.

1. Could something from these ingredients be allergenic? If so, would washing them well, then soaking them in water get rid of it?

2. Also, if DS is allergic to this olive source, does that mean I won't be able to get the pure (i.e., not soy conaminated) olive oil, or are they different issues?

3. If he reacted to coconut meat, does that mean I can't get coconut oil? Or would I still be able to since isn't it the protein that is allergy-causing and not the fat?

4. Would I be able to trust that palm oil is not contaminated with soy? It is so expensive here, I would buy it only if I am certain of it (and I can't trust the store management would know, so I haven't asked)

TIA! Today, I felt light-headed despite having just eaten a half hour before. I am still struggling with getting enough calories. Olives finally saved me until just today DS had a new small red spot starting and I suspect it correlates with my increase in eating olives as most of my other food is fresh or not as suspect.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Fly by post...

Lactic acid could be dairy derived, citric acid could be corn derived. You could also contact the contact the company to see what they say it's from.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Is avocado a safe food for you? That is a great source of fat and calories. I have missed eating it so much on our ED (it isn't a safe food for my lo).

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Also, what is their "acidity regulator"? I don't think washing them would help because olives soak things up, I believe. At least I wouldn't trust it for my kids.

Is he IgE or IgG to things? Because it seems like with an IgE, that it's only the "protein" that causes the reaction. With IgG, it can be any part of the food (for instance, my DS is intolerant to soy and he can't do soybean oil or soy lecithin, where some IgE soy folks can tolerate those).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! All you mama's here are soooo super helpful!

Springmum, if it is the lactic acid (dairy), that would explain DS's slight reaction. Lactic acid, dairy, where is my head, duh!! Ha ha! And that probably means I can have olive oil, so that answers my question 2. Yay!

I found another olive brand, and these are black olives. The only questionable item would be Ferrous Gluconate. Does anyone know if this is an okay thing?

Therese's Mommy, I miss avocado too! I love it so much, I tested for it twice, just to be sure. I wonder if it is the avocado itself, or if it may be any residual pesticides. I'm a little cautious about food from Mexico. If I was back home, I would test a third time for local home grown avocados.

Anyone know the answer to question 3 and 4? I am hoping to try coconut oil and palm oil too. Thanks!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have heard of mamas who can do coconut oil and not the milk or meat--and the other way around so I would trial them all separately.

as for the palm oil--here's the number off my Spectrum organic palm shortening (not sure if this is what you were asking about) I sure hope there's no soy--call and let us know: okay so there's not a number but they list the website: spectrumorganics.com

as for the avacado--my DD reacted to a conventionally grown avacado and someone mentioned that they can be chemically gased--anyways--we get organic avacados and haven't had a problem--weird stuff--but DD can tolerate avacados organic.

as for the olive oil--I've never looked at the ingredients on mine if it's cold pressed organic extra virgin olive oil--do I need to worry about this?! thanks

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I know that at Whole Foods they have Spectrum and their brand. On their brand, it says that it's manufactured in a facility where they also.... but Spectrum doesn't say that. I love the Spectrum. Last time I got the palm shortening, I got Tropical Traditions Organic Palm Shortening, and it's not as white and creamy as the Spectrum (not sure why). It's a big bucket. But we use it in a lot of different things (baking, spread on gluten-free toast, etc.)

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Are you vegetarian? If not, one of the ways to get more fat that's worked for us is to pay attention to the fat that cooks out of meats, maybe the chicken from drumsticks I'll saute up some onions in, and then add that to something (potatoes are yummy, carrots, any vegetable), or high-quality lard is out there (without the weird BHA, BHT). Those types of fats have worked well for us (meaning, I have been craving tons of fat for a while, and this keeps me satisfied and keeps the kids from constantly eating which they tend to when our fat intake trends down).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the IgE and IgG info, I learned something new!

I did look up spectrum organics, but it looks like unfortunately they don't ship internationally.

I am just going to give the olive brand that uses ferrous gluconate a try and hopefully that will let me get some fat for my diet. And maybe now that you mention it, I will also give coconut oil a try.

Unfortunately, DS reacted to red meat and chicken, and then even the lamb I found. But I am now thinking it must be that they are grain fed (with soy, which DS can't have).

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts