Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was here a while back looking for help with hand problems with my bike and got some good advice and help, I haven't been back in a while though between trying to train, nursing and and just being a mom, computer time is last on the list KWIM?
Anyway I finished my very first triathlon and absoloutly LOVED it I can't wait to do another!
I typed up my "race report" for my family and friends ( and my scrap book) I'll paste it below if anyone's interested and there's links to a couple photos as well!
Thank You all who helped with advice and encouragment!
My First Triathlon- 2006 Danskin Women's Triathlon -Pleasant Prarie, Wisconsin

Saturday June 8th- Expo Saturday: We had a challenging, but not as bad as we expected, drive to Pleasant Prarie ( located on the Wisconsin/Illinios border). Josh was terrific in the car but Davey hates the car or more specifically being restrained in his carseat. Anyway with only a few tears shed we arrived at the race location. We had to park quite a ways away from the actual "expo" and packet pick up area- and ofcourse we made it more difficult than it had to be. We had to park on the opposite side of the man made lake ( the location of the swim portion of the event) than the building we needed to go to so we were up for the walk- no big deal- well...we could have walked 1/2 mile if we had went to our right but we have such a horrible sence of distance we decided to go to our left and walked 2 miles- poor Josh was just dragging- by the end of the weekend he was going to hate us for all the walking we made him do. Anyway we eventually did make it to the nice air conditioned building collected my race # and info and recieved my very cool running shirt- so excited to see they had my size ( most runners aren't "plus sized" and thought most triathletes weren't either- but there were many of us out there!). I ran into the awesome ladies from the YMCA that I trained with, they were such a supportive group of ladies! After a short visit I collected my family from the bleachers Josh was trying to dangle from and we hiked back to the car the short way- on the bright side of our misjudgement in distance i got to be familiar with part of the run course for the next day's event!

We drove to Gurnee,Ill to our hotel, checked in and Steve went to pick up food for us while I nursed the baby. After supper we all hit the swimming pool- the boys had a blast and it was a nice distraction for me. Eventually we headed to our room to prepare for bed...although noone actually went to bed til after 9pm

The Night Before I set my alarm for 3am-yikes I was not looking forward to that. I laid down with Davey to nurse him to sleep, he was out by 930 and I went to pack up things for the morning and have clothes laid out for Steve and the boys, Steve has never been responsible for getting the boys ready in the morning and has never went some place alone with Davey before- we had so many worries for the morning: David refuses a bottle, barely eats solids and *sometimes* takes a sippy cup and no pacifier either- but he's a big time nurser, still nursing every 2-3 hours-- we figured if he slept through til his normal wakingtime(8am) Steve could distract him until my estimated finish somewhere between 1030 -1100am- that was the plan anyway- and i was trying to get everything as set up as I could for Steve in the morning, the less things he had to do the easier I figured it would be....I just barely got those things done and doze off and Davey starts making a choking noise then projectile vomiting, I whipped him upright and was holding him up to my chest when he threw up again! So this is about 1030pm now and Steve and I are trying to clean up and calm the baby - Davey does this from time to time we think it might be a reflux thing but it doesn't happen as often as it used to so we think he's growing out of it- anyway by the time we're settled back into bed and nursing again it's 11pm-doze off again somewhere around 1130 thinking 'only 3 1/2 hours to sleep- i don't know how I'm going to do this' before i know it were up again this time the baby has filled his pants- which leads me to realize we only have 3 diapers left i forgot the rest of the diapers in the dryer at home-could things get any worse? I change Davey and nurse yet again this time he was out in just minutes- maybe seconds. Two and half ours til my alarm goes off, my head hit the pillow hopefully for good- not- Davey woke about 230 am to nurse again- he usually is a great sleeper i can only guess that all the changes, deviations from our normal routine and a different place were making him anxious

-RACEMORNING I dozed off and the hotel alarm clock woke me to a Christian radio station- that couldn't have been an accident- I can't remember what they were saying but the words "trust in God" are etched in my memory. Trust in God- I sure will that's the only way I'm getting through this now. I was soooo tired!

I pumped thinking maybe Davey would take some milk from Daddy- (NOPE) got dressed and met some of my training buddies in the lobby for a light breakfast and off to the race. After having to park at the "remote" parking and shuttle to the site we arived around 515 am, set up our transitions ( shoes bike helmet etc) grabbed my swim cap and goggles and then waited.

My start time wasn't until 812 am -they send out the women in "waves" to send out nearly 4000 women into the water at once could be deadly- so I had to wait- Steve and I had this plan if Davey was so sad that he really needed to nurse he could meet me at a particular meeting spot until just before race time, so i sat in that spot for a couple hours, waiting for my them to come yet praying they wouldn't need to that everything was ok and it was Steve said Davey did fine he fussed a bit but did ok.

SWIM

the swim was a little late getting away (just a couple minutes) they yell go and we all plunge into the water, a sea of pink swim caps bobbing up and down in the chilly water. Someone grabbed my ankle and feet came pretty close to my face but I remembered our training program a speaker told us if you're a "slow" swimmer stay to the back and "outside" of the pack so I moved over and felt much better- the swim was the easiest part-I was originally very anxious about the swim but my training prepared me well and the # of lifeguards on rafts and in boats nearby was so reasuring- I finished the 1/2 mile swim in 22 minutes 48 seconds- I was shooting for a half hour so that was amazing for me!

BIKE

after the swim with jello legs I ran through the sea of bikes to find my bike I had marked with a big helium frog baloon- thought a unique baloon like that would stand out and I would find my bike quicker- well- there were 3 other identical frog baloons there- thankfully they were in other areas of the transition. I got to my bike and pulled on my socks and shoes, put on my shirt and helmet and with my bike ran to the bike exit got through the gate and hopped on my bike and started pedaling- my legs still felt like jello but i was a 1/3 of the way done now, and i no longer felt like i had no sleep the adreniline was really pumping now, The bike was hard though, much harder on me then i had planned. there were some hills that almost kicked my butt. The spokeswoman at the start of the tri said we needed to have a "mantra" to repeat when things got hard- my "mantra" was more like a prayer "God carry me" like in the "footprints in the sand" poem when things are at their toughest and there are only one set of footprints in the sand it's then that God is carrying you---yep He was carrying me! It was incredible though the spectators were cheering and yelling words of encouragement I will always remeber the boy about 13 yrs old standing alone at the bottom of this hill yelling to me "this hill is insignifant, you will conquer it" how awesome is that? And then a mom and her two kids cheering us on- the mom was completely bald- reminding me why I was doing this triathlon in the first place, I thought of my aunts, and Steve's aunt and Mic and thought of all the torture they've gone through just to beat breast cancer- hills are pretty insignifcant when you realize what really needs to be conquered!

I did eventually finish 12.4 miles in 1 hour 1 minute - I was planning on an hour so I did good but i just thought i'd feel a bit better.

RUN

i racked my bike I grabbed my cool hat- I decorated my pink Packer hat with ribbons for the ones I was "tri"ing for Mic,my aunt Jeanie,my aunt Diane, Steve's aunt Millie, and my aunt (my uncle's wife) Dione- and headed for the run start but had to make a little pit stop- my bladder is not what it used to be. I began the run real slow, just wanted to get my balance i felt kinda funny going from the bike to the run, soon i was walking, i had a cramp in the arch of my foot! but i was walking strong, i was going to finish- there were many people walking and I figured i would just walk the run course if i had to i had to finish- my foot started to feel better and i began to run again- but soon it cramped again, the people that were passing me yelled encouragement telling me what a great job i was doing (although i didn't feel like i was at the time) so a fellow participant walked up beside me and asked if i was hurt too, she hurt her hip in the swim yet kept going- i told her about my cramp and she told me how to stretch it out and before long it was feeling good again! in total i ran about 3/4 of the course and walked a 1/4 working out my cramped foot, before I knew it, I was the one passing people and yelling out to encourage them! As i saw the finish line ahead i thought of the day before when Josh was playing at the finish line goofing around and yelling to me as we "pretended" to race "come on mom, you're almost across the finish line" I couldn't see or hear my family in the crowd but I could hear Josh in my head telling me I was almost across! I could hear my training buddies, who had all finished at least a half hour before me yelling my name- in a crowd of thousands to hear your name yelled out is just an amazing feeling! and at the finsh line Sally Edwards gave me a double high five congratulating me! I came across the finish line thanking God not just for the finish but for carrying me and keeping me safe! I recieved my finishers medal and my friends from the Y came to congratulate me and let me know that Steve took the kids to the shade but they were all doing great! we did some post race photos and chugged lots of water- it was hot -90*F but I didn't really notice until i was done how warm it was! After photos (which I can't wait to get) I went to our "meeting place" when Josh saw me coming he ran to me and gave me a huge hug and told me "You're the best champion ever, mom" I cried! Davey was so thrilled to see me he tried to nurse right through my clothes so I settled in against a tree for a post race nursing session-which is the only photo I have from my camera of the race day My overall standings aren't all that impressive but if you take into accont that I'm a 200+ lb sleep deprived,nursing mama- it almost looks respectable!

I finished my 1/2 mile swim in 22:48, 12.4 mile bike 1:01:00, 3.1 mile run 47:03 with transitions I finished the whole thing in 2:20:33

Nursing David after the race http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...me/nursing.jpg

1/2 mile to go! http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_...hotos&BIB=2347

approaching the finish http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_...hotos&BIB=2347

high 5s for the finish http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_...hotos&BIB=2347

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Woohoo, aren't triathlons so fun? I am so happy for you. The Danskin series is a great one to start in on. I did the Danksin race in Milwaukee one year and had a blast.

ND

·
Registered
499 Posts
Your story was wonderful - thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Yep, I'm sitting here tearing up, too. Way to go! I don't even know you, but I'm so proud of you!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Lisa, I'm so proud of you, too!!! This is a huge accomplishment!!!
What will be your next event? We need to get that triathlon board going again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
you are such an inspiration!! I have always fantasized about doing a tri athlon, but with a 50 lb post partum weight gaion, I'm usually having a pity party!

Jess

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank You!
there aren't any more tris in my area this yr and traveling with this kids is rough and traveling without them is out of the question so I'm done with tris for now but I have my focus on The American Cancer Society Road America 4 mile run in October- I've done it before, it's a hard one with lots of hills but I'm sure i can do it! and I'll definately do Danskin again next year and there's another tri in my area in June but they recommend wet suits- I'm still thinking about that one since I don't own a wetsuit-oh ya there's an indoor tri my local Y does in the winter-I might give that a try- sounds fun but it just won't be the same...
baby's calling

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessJoy
you are such an inspiration!! I have always fantasized about doing a tri athlon, but with a 50 lb post partum weight gaion, I'm usually having a pity party!

Jess
I can relate! I've had many pity parties along the way! I was an athlete (cross country and track) in high school and fractured my back in a sledding accident, I recovered but was never quite the same, then I was passenger in a car that was rear-ended and have debilitating neck problems to this day- that put an end to my running. I felt sorry for myself for yrs as the weight piled on. Then I actually thought I was too fat to go to the gym, I felt I didn't belong there! Finding clothing to wear was another challenge but my cousin put an end to my pity party days by encouraging me a couple years ago to run a marathon- I thought she was nuts but she told me about this book Non runners Marathon trainer - it was based on a college class and there were paraticipants in the class my size who finished so I figured I'd give it a shot- but I couldn't even run around the block anymore so I started with a 13 week walk/run program - it go t me going then I trained for the marathon- I only got to 17 miles in the training program before I had to quit because of injury so after that i kept my distances 10k or below- but soon i was pregnant and I've had to start all over again- when i started with the tri training i almost quit- poor me i don't belong with those athletes what am I thinking? But I read the book Slow Fat triathlete and was encouraged to keep going- I've found my passion now I absoulty loved the tri and can't wait to do another. I didn't loose an overwelming amount of weight but I wasn't strictly consistant with my training either because my first priority are my children and well the baby has been a "velcro" baby- an inspiring quote I found somewhere once
"it's never too late to be what you might have been" I think of that often when I start to get on a pity trip-circumstances change things but it's never too late to go after your dreams! You can do it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm crying! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. I'm doing the Danskin in Seattle in a couple weeks. Your story is so inspiring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts