Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here in mexico, father´s day is coming soon...end of june.<br>
in school they are already starting to make a card for dad, etc... his dad lives in another country, we separated when my son was 2.5yo, now 4.3yo, almost 2 years ago.<br>
he came out of school in anguish, asking for things he loooves but knows he can´t have during the week (movie, candy, etc). and really grumpy and crying alot for absolutely everything. didn´t eat well. etc.<br>
asked him about what happened at school, got nothing ffrom him.<br>
now after shower, cutting nails i saw them full of finger paint...an i remembered. asked him what he had painted today and then he said, cars and we cut out fathers to glue on a piece of paper...<br>
SO THAT´S IT!!!!!!!!<br><br>
2 things<br>
1. what can i do?<br>
2. what are you doing preparing for this day...?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
maybe take this as a teachable moment? you could put together something to mail his dad or make cards for the other adult men in his life or find a way to have a special time for the two of you. this stuff is hard, but a lot of people deal with it in some creative, healthy ways. father's day is about honouring parents, so figure out what that means for you two.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good. i like the idea of making cards and such for his uncles and male friends of mine whom he absolutely loves...love this!<br><br>
now, he is 4yo, doesn´t express his feelings clearly with words...especially if it hurts. so i have to get this.<br><br>
i told him that we would send the card to his dad. he doesn´t understand distance etc, but i think it´ll be fine once his dad gets the card and maybe shows it to him on skype. that´s a good one!<br><br>
thank you

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
I think you should talk to the teacher and ask her to encourage him to make cards for someone other than his father. In my dd's preschool the teacher new each families situation and encouraged them to make cards for a male figure other than their father whenever that was necessary.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh One_Girl, this is a beautiful idea!<br>
i`m gonna talk to them tomorrow...i would love for him to make a card to send to his dad and another one to give to his uncle. love this, thank you very much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts