Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i need to give my 1 year old more fats in her diet. she only gained one pound in 3 months and fatty food isnt really something we have a lot of in the house. its lacking in her diet. what are some healthy foods with fats besides yogrut, cottage cheese, butter, avacado and cows milk? also is cows milk, yogrut and cottage cheese similar nutrition/fat wise? if i give my daughter yogrut, cheese and cottage cheese does she need the cows milk too? she is breastfeeding.
thanks so much,
leah

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Grind nuts/seeds in a coffee grinder or blender (almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkins seeds, flax, etc.) and stir into oatmeal, rice, applesauce, whatever she's eating. Great minerals as well as essential fatty acids.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had a very lengthy discussion with dd's doctor about this. I was concerned because we are vegan. We use coconut and olive oil to cook with. DD eats a lot of cashew butter (you could use any nut butter though), pumpkin seeds and hummus. She drinks a cup of almond or hemp milk once a day. The doctor is more than satisfied with this for her fat intake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These are all great suggestions. I use them as well. When my daughter was 1, her doctor told me that she needed more fats in her diet. I told her I was giving her all of the fats we mentioned above. She was NOT satisfied. She wanted her to eat JUNK FOOD! Well, as you can imagine, I've never returned to her office. Follow your instincts and good for you for asking for fat suggestions.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That's funny -- you reminded me of when I was pg with my first dd--I wasn't putting on enough weight so my midwife told me to go eat some creampuffs--no healthy fat suggestions--just creampuffs.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
I add oils to my DS's diet, and he loves avocados, and will eat a half of one to himself.

Hummus, and add lots and lots of oil to it

Nut butter sandwiches
Avocado sandwiches
Add nut butter and ground nuts to oatmeal, or any other kind of hot cereal
Fruit shakes made with coconut milk and nut butter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.