Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not a planner. just doesn't really work for me. i can't even follow a recipe without altering it by adding a dash of this and a handful of that, but i find myself repeating suppers over and over and over again so FINALLY i realized that i need a little bit of *gasp* organization. SOOOOOOO...what i finally realized might work for me was to just have a list of favorite dishes because when i stumble into the kitchen and look around bewildered without a plan i'm repeating and having pasta (kids' fave) every other night. ugh. so here's the start of my list. the categories are a little arbitrary, but if anybody would care to add your favorites i'd love it. i just want to be able to look at a list and say, "i have all the things i need for tacos. i'll make that," and preserve the spontaneity i need to not bristle at the organization.

so what are y'all's fave dishes?

breads:
biscuits
cornbread

starches:
scalloped potatoes
roasted roots
mashed potatoes
seasoned rice
oven fries
hash
grits/polenta

green veggies:
salad
broccoli
green beans w/ almonds
frozen veggies
garlicky greens

other veggies:
winter squash
baby carrots
hummus

meat:
salmon cakes
chicken tenders

main dishes/one dish:
samosas
homemade pizza
veggie chili
sushi wraps
tacos
gumbo
pasta
chicken soup (wsm)
chicken soup (homemade)
salmon chowder
corn chowder
potato soup

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The stuff you listed sounds good. I'd add some more of our favorites:

Mexican:
cocktel
tacos (of which the variations are endless)
enchiladas
tortas
carnitas
tamales
Mexican chicken salad
tostadas
tortilla soup

One dish meals:
chicken pot pie
white bean chili
spaghetti
lasagna/manicotti/stuffed shells

By the way, how do you make samosas? We love those.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your suggestions. i was beginning to feel like nobody loved me
. what's "cocktel"? i think i know what everything else on your mexican list is, but not that one.

for samosas i kinda cheat and use fillo/phyllo/howeveryouwannaspellit dough and bake in the oven instead of deep frying. still kinda labor intensive with the folding and stuffing. i usually use peas, carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic cooked down with curry powder or garam masala if i have any. pretty yummy, but too much work for me tonight!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
It's Mexican shrimp cocktail. It is usually an appetizer, but we make it in bigger quantities and eat it like a soup.

Lime juice, ketchup, hot sauce, then shrimp (cooked), onions, a cucumber, cilantro, and an avocado. I add enough water to make it soupy. It's easy and really good. It's especially nice in the summer since it's a cold dish.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds great. i might have to try that, but i think tonight might be a soup night for us.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Great Idea!
I had a list of foods taped to the inside of my cupboard door for the very same reason. It's time to update it!

Here are some ideas:
Rice stir fry
Quiche
Pasta with creamy mushroom sauce
beef barley soup
pea soup
3 bean salad
Chili
Grilled cheese sandwiches (and all the variations; adding tomato, mozzarella etc)
Salads: ceasar, macaroni, potato

Shepards pie
chicken pot pie
Pineapple ham
BBQ chicken
Chicken and biscuits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.